Prologue: Prom

In all honesty, he should have known it was them. After all, who else would have come down this hallway right after them. However, all his focus was on the blonde that stared back at him.

"Blake," Turmoil darken her eyes. "I don't think-" Reaching up, Blake brushed a thumb against her jaw, cutting off her words. His eyes burned into her own before he started to lean forward again. As her eyes closed, Blake captured her lips again.

However, the kiss was short-lived. A hand grabbed his shoulder, yanking him back. "Blake!" Molly screamed just at the fist connected with jaw. He staggered back, glaring up at his attacker.

"Neil!" He snarled.

Neil took another step forward. His eyes burned. "What are you doing with her, Blake?" Blake stepped back before his gaze flickered to the senior beside him. Dark eyes glared at Balke with too many emotions: hurt, anger, disgust...

"Lyla."

Shaking her head, Lyla stepped back from him before she ran.

"Lyla, Lyla wait!"

"I think you did enough." Neil's snarl reached his ears. He sent a sharp glare toward Neil before he closed his eyes. "Can you just....make sure she's safe at least?"

Neil's jaw clenched, but he went after her.

As the silence settled around them, a hand touched his arm. Blake glanced down at Molly who stared up at him. "I'm sorry."

Blake's jaw clenched. "Don't be." I was the one who kissed you first. "We were having issues anyways." At Molly's worried look, Blake shrugged his shoulders. He knew he should have cared, but he didn't.

All he felt was relief to finally be away from her.

"I should go." He shoved his hands into his pocket. "Thank you for showing me." He nodded to the painting, before he turned away.

Blake had always enjoyed the night, the way it coated everything in various hues, even himself. He was a shadow among the darkness, moving quietly and quickly with no purpose in life. Reaching his favorite convenience store, he stepped inside.

The darkness vanished and he was once again in view. Reaching the counter, he slid his ID to the woman who had his pack ready. She glanced at it once, before he grabbed and lit up a cigarette.

"No smoking in here."

He ignored the woman and blew out a steady stream.

"Have you no respect?" The woman scowled.

Pulling out the cigarette, his lips pulled into a small smile. "Not for you, no."

The woman's lips pulled into a sneer. "And that's why your lungs will be black at thirty."

He nodded at that little tibet. "Thanks." It wasn't like he hadn't heard that before. In fact, she made sure to tell him that every single time. Blake grabbed his ID and headed out.

With each inhale, the charcoal taste flooded his lungs. Still he felt his mind eased up a bit, letting the thoughts free from the jumble of his mind. Reaching the bridge, he looked down at the rushing water below, watching it rush over shallow pebbles and rocks.

His hands itched while his mind tried to remember the scene before him. If only he had his paints...

Releasing the smoke, he continued on. Just past the bridge, the houses grew widener and taller, with each being more grand than the last. Reaching the last, Blake headed up the mansion size house.

There were pictures of him with his mother and father each year, all wearing the exact same clothes with the exact same fake smile.

"Blake? Querido, you're home?"

Blake nodded. "Yeah, I am." His nanny stepped out of the kitchen with her apron covered in flour. She whipped her hands on a rag. "Is prom really over that quickly?"

Blake shrugged his shoulders. "Pretty much." His gaze lazily scanned the room. "Parents gone?"

"Your father is out of town and your mother is...busy in her room." Busty? Blake knew what that meant. Did she walk in on a secretary or a coworker this time? Biting back the question, he watched his nanny glance at the door. "Where's Lyla? Is she-"

"We broke up."

"What?" He grimaced at her worry. "I'm sorry, querido. Was something going on or-"

Blake shook his head, cutting her off. "I'm fine, Maria. Really." He smiled. "I just want to go to my room now, ok?" Not waiting for a reply, he took the stairs two at a time. Closing the door behind him, Blake sighed as he leaned back and closed his eyes.

Well, that was a mess.