Chapter 7: Neil

"Guess who's back!" An arm looped around Blake before the guy shook him violently. "Your favorite friend is finally back in school! Did you miss me? I know you did."

Blake scoffed before he shoved Neil away. "They need to make your next suspension longer. I missed the peace and quiet."

Neil huffed, clenching his chest in mock hurt. "Well, this is the hi I get when I bring you back a gift." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out some chew-less tobacco. "Only the good stuff for you."

Blake shoved his tobacco away. "Knock it off. You know I can't stand that stuff. Besides, wasn't that why you were suspended in the first place."

Nate shrugged his shoulders. "How was I supposed to know they would do a drug search? Besides, I obtained it legally."

Before Blake could reply, a familiar voice called out his name. As Lyla hurried to them, her usual smile dipped at the sight of Neil. With a weary glance toward him, she turned back to Blake.

"I see you're with company right now."

"Unfortunately." His smile grew at her chuckle. "Lyla, this is Neil. Neil, this is Lyla."

Once again, Lyla's gaze snapped back to Neil. "Aren't you the one that got busted for drugs?"

Neil scoffed. "Please, tobacco is hardly the worst drug." He punched Blake's arm. "Anyways, I'm off to scope out some fellow ladies. See you at lunch." At his nod, Neil moved on.

The latter watched Neil disappear around a corner before her gaze snapped back to him. "I didn't know you two were friends."

"Yeah, we've been buddies since middle school." Blake shrugged his shoulders as he turned his attention to opening his locker. "He's pretty much my best friend."

"Really?" Lyla raised an eyebrow. "Neil? The guy who probably slept with half the girls here? The guy who gets kicked out for fighting, drugs, and one time graffiti the principal's office?"

"Yes, and you don't know the reason he did that."

"Does it make it any better?" Lyla scoffed.

"Lyla, I get into fights too. I practically live in detention. What makes me different?"

"Well, you're not doing drugs for one."

"I smoke."

"But not that bad."

"It's literally a different form of tobacco."

"What do you want from me?" Lyla replied, placing her hands on her hips. "I'm sorry if Neil is your friend, but I heard the rumors and I've seen the damage he caused." Folding her arms, she sighed.

Blake nudged her. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," she huffed, causing Blake to raise an eyebrow.

"Fine, it's just....my mom's cough is getting worse."

Oh. Blake hesitated. "You think she's getting sick?"

"Pretty much, but every time I bring it up she tells me I'm overreacting." Shaking her head, Lyla wrapped her arms around herself. "I can't stand seeing her like this. Plus, she's already working two jobs. I keep offering to let me help but she keeps refusing. I haven't heard back from Katy and-"

"Hey, breathe." Meeting his gaze, she took a deep breath. "Again." She hesitated before she took another breath again. As she blinked, a single tear slipped from her eyes.

His heart clenched at the sight. "Just take it one day at a time ok." Reaching up, he wiped her tears away. "If you want, I can make a few calls and see what's hiring right now?"