Chapter 16: Forward

It was funny how the most important night of his life was right here and he felt nothing. Glancing at his watch, Blake shoved his hands into his pocket. Where is she? The door opened, revealing Elva in her aqua blue princess dress. Her hair was styled up in a bun while her lips were pink and her makeup was smoky.

"Lyla," his gaze roamed over her. "You look beautiful."

She smiled, though it didn't seem to reach her eyes. "Thanks." As she held out her hand, Blake looped it with hers.

"Lyla," her mother called from the door. "Be back by ten. I don't want to end up alone after dark."

Clenching his jaw, Blake fought back the urge to yell that she wouldn't be alone. Instead, the door closed behind them with a loud thud. "Seems like your mother still doesn't like me."

"She's just protective of me, Blake." She sighed. "Besides, can we not do this now?" Blake's jaw clenched. No, of course not. It's not like you called me to remind you about prom.

The car ride back to the gym was tense while the dance seemed to be just as lame as he thought it would be. With Lyla settled down at the table, he headed to get them some drinks. "Hey," a hand grabbed his arm."So, this is just as lame as I imagine right?"

"Yeah, pretty much." He nodded.

Neil's gaze snapped behind him then back. "Are you and Lyla still together?"

"No, she just needed a date for the prom. We're still on our break."

"Oh," he nodded. "I see."

"Blake." Molly approached. "Hey, I didn't think you would be here." She was dressed in a very big but very nice looking gown. Her smile grew as she held out a hand. "Well, I'm glad you're here, there's something I want to show you."

Oh? He raised an eyebrow before taking her hand. "And what is it you need to show me?" As they moved to the dance floor, he ignored the pair of eyes burning onto him.

"Did Mr. Johnson tell you yet?"

"Tell me?"

"They picked our project." She was beaming now. "It's hanging up for all to see outside the art room in the hallway." Blake smiled as pride grew in his chest. "I knew they would pick us. You're idea was too amazing to skip over."

Molly's face flushed. "But it was you that did all the work, even when I messed up." She threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you for sticking with me." Feeling his heart skip a beat, Blake smirked. "Anytime."

With one last smile, Molly disappeared into the crowd on the dance floor. Blake stood there for a few seconds longer, watching for any sign of her before he headed back over to the refreshment table.

"Art partners huh?" Lyla questioned when he approached.

"Don't start Lyla."

"What, Blake." She smiled ruefully. "It's just a simple little question."

"If we bring up Molly then I get to bring up your mother not like me." Now he flashed her a bitter smile at her glare. "It seems only fair." Lyla's eyes narrowed to slits before she pushed her chair back and stormed off.

Sighing, Blake rubbed at his temples. How did this happen?

"Hey, are you alright?" He smiled at Molly's concerned gaze. "Yeah, just tired."

She gestured to one of the teachers guarding the door. "You want somewhere to rest?"

At the concern in her gaze, he felt himself crack. "That would be nice."