Chapter 9: Jealous

Knocking against the door, Blake stepped back as it slowly opened to reveal a tired Lyla. "Hey."

"Hey." He lifted the bag. "I bought dumplings."

Lyla's smile softened as she held the door open for him. Stepping into the room, the living room was two chairs pushed together and a statically TV. "Sorry, I know it's not much but..."

Blake shrugged his shoulders. "It's cool." He placed the plate on the chair. "How's your mother?"

"She's fine. The inhaler is working and her ribs are healing nicely. She should be back on her feet soon."

Blake smiled. "That's good." Because you're exhausted.

As if hearing his thoughts, she gave a soft yawn. "Sorry, it's been a long shift tonight. I have to cancel and reschedule a lot of meetings for the law firm."

"I don't have to stay. I can go if you need me to."

"No, no. Stay," her gaze met his. "I want you to stay." Blake swallowed while Lyla gazed sheepishly away. With each second, his smile couldn't stop growing. "I should get plates-"

"Let me help." Moving into the kitchen, he helped her grab plates and forks. Entering the living room, they settled among the chairs. Grabbing the chopsticks that came with them, Blake picked up one of the dumplings and placed it on her plate.

"Wait, if you can use chopsticks, why did you grab forks?"

"Just in case you couldn't use them."

Lyla raised an eyebrow, before she grabbed the second pair of chopsticks."Oh, Blake, I am the queen of chopsticks." Grabbing one, she popped it into her mouth. Blake chuckled before he reached for his dumpling.

"Want to watch a movie?"

Her eyes lit at the question. "Have you seen princess diaries?"

That what?

At his head shake, Lyla gasped. "Ok, we have to watch it then,"

And watch it they did, with Blake being so confused in the end. All he gathered so far was that it was a romance between a princess and a guy named Wesley. Lyla however was swooning over the romance. "If only I had a guy like Weshly." Her gaze snapped to him, before she looked away.

Well, maybe...you can. Sensing the shift, Blake started to lean forward. Lyla's gaze snapped up to him, widening as he drew closer. His gaze snapped down, and at her silent nod, he finally pressed his lips against hers.

***********

The days were passing by faster than Blake expected. Finals were on the horizon and so was the upcoming trip to the art museum. After telling his nanny about it, she went out of her way to buy him a kodak camera with the idea that he should take lots of pictures.

He didn't have the heart to tell her that most museums don't allow pictures. Still, that didn't mean he couldn't take pictures of the trip before and after. Besides, his hands were itching to paint something that wasn't charcoal. Heading down the street, his hands snapped anything that captured his interest, a couple hanging out on the street, a stray dog rummaging in through the trash, two birds with their wings in flight.

With each click, he felt his excitement build as he pushed the door opened to the convenience station. An empty countered greeted him before a crash snapped his gaze to the sound. Rushing over, his eyes widened at Mirna in a sea of boxes. "Are you ok?"

Grabbing her arm, he helped Mirna to her feet. "I'm fine." She waved him away. "I'm fine." Placing her ankle down gingerly, she winced. "Maybe not." Blake grabbed her hands, leading her to a box of crates. Grabbing her sneaker, he pulled it off.

"Looks like you sprained it." He replied, poking her ankle. "You can't walk on it."

"Ugh," Mirna leaned her head back against the desk. "But, but...I need to get this organized." She gestured to the mess around her. "I'm going to be in so much trouble if I don't-"

"Why don't you handle the register? We'll slip a chair for you to sit on while you ring people up and I'll help out with the stocking here."

"Really?" Her gaze snapped up to him. "You'll help?"

Blake snorted. "Am I supposed to let you suffer?"

Mirna laughed. "And here I thought you were just a bad boy. Blake, you're a lifesaver."

"Well don't give all my secrets away." She snorted at his wink, causing his own smile to grow. Lifting her up, he got her settled down behind the cash register before he went to tackle the take of crates around him.

Stocking the sodas, he started to break the wooden crates down. A doorbell rang before a masculine voice shouted. "Hey, Mirage!"

"Hey Conner." He turned his head at the voice. Conner? He watched a guy approach the counter, and leaned against it. Looking down, he let out a wolf whistle. "What happened to you?"

"Sprained ankle. Blake is helping me out though." Conner turned to where Blake stood. They nodded, before he turned back to Mirna. "Looks like you won't be doing no half pipes anytime soon."

Halfpipe? Blake paused in his stocking. His gaze snapped back to Mirna who sighed. "Unfortunately, but at least I don't have to stay here much longer."

"Unless your mom catches wind of this injury. She'll come back and drag you home instantly."

Minra pointed a stern finger at him. "Don't you dare tell her. I just convinced them to let me get this job."

Conner's lips twitch. "Well, you know how they feel about their precious little daughter." Reaching to mess with her hair, he earned a scowl and smack from Minra. Watching the interaction between them, Blake wondered what they were.

Friends? Couple?

Whatever it was, he wasn't that pleased at the closeness between them. "What do you want me to do with the boxes?" He remarked, stepping up to the counter, right beside Conner. Minra's gaze snapped at him before she looked at the mess of empty boxes. "You can just throw them in the back."

As she turned back to Conner, Blake's jaw clenched. Turning around, he grabbed the carts and went to throw them not so gently into the back of the store. Stepping back in the room, Conner was now at the door. "Don't forget, dinner at seven." Closing the door, the bell ranged out in the silence.

Dinner? Blake's jaw clenched. Where are you taking her? To some Chinese restaurant. He snorted. I could buy her at the Thai pad her heart desired. He quickly shook his head. What am I thinking? It's probably just a friend or something. Maybe it's a family member.

"Blake!" His gaze snapped to Mirna. Seeing the amused in her gaze, his neck burned. "Geez, I've been calling you forever. I wanted to ask if you were ok?"

"Ok?"

"We heard a loud crash and thought you might have fallen." At the twitch of her lips, Blake's neck burned hotter.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he muttered. He returned to stocking. "So, you skateboard?"

"Yeah, it's just a little something I enjoy. Have you ever skateboarded before?"

He met her gaze. "No."

Mirna's eyes glowed. "Then you better prepare for your first lesson."

"No way." Blake shook his head. "I am not going to go skateboarding."

"Aw come on," Mirna whined. "It's just one time. It'll be fun I promise."

Blake eyed her wearily. "I think we have different definitions of the word fun." As Mirna's smile grew, Blake just rolled his eyes and turned away, ignoring the growing heat from his neck.