nine

Wednesday roped Enid into coming to the shed with us. She was going to fill in for Wednesday while she went out looking for clues about Rowan's disappearance.

"If Weems comes sniffing around, keep your distance, look grim, and don't say a word," Wednesday explained. She turned to me. "You already know how to distract and keep her away from Eugene and Enid."

"Payback is going to be a bitch." Enid groaned adjusting the net around her hat.

"I'd expect nothing less." She answered. I pulled my gloves on over my hands. "Blab and I will squeeze you like a honeycomb."

"Snitches get stung. It's hive code." Eugene responded. I heard Enid whine and saw her struggling to put her gloves on. "Besides, I should be thanking you. This is the most girl I've ever had in the shed. "Other than bees."

"Thanks," Enid mumbled, her hand going limp as she allowed me to help her slip it onto her hand.  I grabbed the other one from her exposed hand helping her slip it on.

"Your hair is a dead giveaway you aren't Wednesday. You are going to need to keep your head down." I yanked the glove onto her hand.

"Okay." She agreed. Wednesday moved towards the door, leaving me behind.

"In ancient times, honey was used to treat wounds and in sacrificial burial rites. Cleopatra was rumored to bathe in honey. Gave her skin a luminous glow. You ever taken a honey bath?" He asked Enid. Eugene had no game with girls.

"I just don't want to get stung." She whined adjusting the net around her neck.

"The key is to remain calm. Bees detect fear, but you don't need to worry. Because I have a very big smoker and I handle it like a pro. Would you like to see it?" Enid sighed looking to me for help.

"Let's go Eugene. We should introduce her to the bees." I added pushing him towards the doorway. Enid grabbed the back of my suit trying to stay close to me. This was most likely the only time I would let her grab onto me like this. She was doing a favor for Wednesday and that was unheard of, so I guess I can deal with this for an hour.

"Okay, so here is the first hive." Eugene grabbed the top of the hive lifting it up. Dozens of bees flew out heading directly for Enid and me. She yelped and hid behind me while I stood there feeling some of the bees hit me.

"Nope! Nope! Nope! I can't!" She yelled as she swatted in the air.

"Don't run!" Eugene yelled to her, but she continued to squeal swatting at the netting around her head. She better not knock that loose or else a bee will get through and she would be done for.

"Enid. You have to calm down." I advised as I slowly made my way over to her, a few bees were just sitting on the netting around my head.

"Get them off!" She stilled, looking at me, the bees swarming her.

"Have you been stung yet?" I asked her, She shook her head frantically. Her wide's eyes moved around fast searching for more bees.

"See just relax, they will leave you alone." Eugene smiled. She lowered her arms. "Just slowly walk over here and they will fly off." He advised. She grimaced taking a small step forward. Several bees flew off her suit coming towards us. She squeezed her eyes shut whining once more.

"Just keep moving forward," I told her, she stepped forward a little keeping her eyes closed. I didn't understand why she was so scared. She was in a suit that was meant to protect her from getting stung. She was safe. She reached forward taking my hands.

"See." Eugene smiled stepping up to her side. "They are gone." He added. She opened one of her eyes slowly glancing around at her shoulder and then turned her head.