14.

Owen

I was shocked when I heard the sad news, mostly because it was Hayden's mom who had died but also because I had no idea that she had an alcohol problem.

Poor boy, lost his mom and on his birthday at that.

I felt so bad for him, so I took him in and he has now lived with me for almost two weeks.
It may be a little weird because I am his teacher and he is my student, but it doesn't seem like he has any close relatives and even though he is eighteen, I can't leave him to fend for himself. At least not during these circumstances.

"There you go" I say after changing Hayden's diaper and lifting him off of the changing table.

Then we leave the nursery and go into the living room, where we sit down on the couch and watch some tv.

Suddenly it knocks on the door and I go to open it.
"Hi, Mr Nelson. Can I come in?"
It's Noelle. She has been coming here almost every day after school to see Hayden.
"Of course" I say and hold the door open for her as she enters the apartment. "He is in the living room."
She nods and goes there after taking off her shoes and hanging up her jacket.

Hayden

The death of my mother affected me more than I thought it would.

During the first three days I was a crying mess and then I also started to have  nightmares and even more accidents than before. So now I have to wear diapers all the time, even at night. It sucks,but there's nothing to do about it.

Well, at least I'm not alone. I have Mr.Nelson beside me at all times,
because I'm currently living with him.
Yeah, I know it's weird but he provides me with the care I need right now and it's only until I feel better and can take care of myself.

Normally, I would have said no to that kinda absurd offer, to  live with my teacher.
But back then, in that condition I just couldn't. And it does feel kinda good to be taken care of, not gonna lie.

"Hi" Noelle says while sitting down beside me on the couch.

"Hi" I say and look at her. "How was school?"

"It was okay. Nothing special." she says and shrugs. "So... how are you doing?"

"I'm feeling a little bit better and... I'm actually gonna come back to school next week. At least I'm gonna try." 

"Really?"

"Yep" I confirm and she smiles.

"That's good. I'm glad."

Owen

While Hayden and Noelle are talking in the living room, I'm in the kitchen and making us something to eat. I'm also talking with William on the phone.

He is really sad over the fact that we haven't been able to meet during these two weeks and I have been feeling bad about it too. But I just couldn't meet up with him and leave Hayden all alone, and I don't feel like it would have been a good idea to take William here while Hayden wasn't feeling well.

At the same time, I also don't think that William would appreciate or feel comfortable having someone else around while he slips into little space.

So it is basically out of respect for both of them, that I have chosen not to meet with William the last two weeks. It has been for the best.

"I miss you..." He says

"I know... I miss you too." I say             "I have just been busy lately. But I'll try to make some time for you next week. Okay?"

"Really?... you promise?"

"Yes, William. I promise."

"Pinky promise?" He says with a more childish tone in his voice and I can't help but chuckle a little bit at his cuteness.

"Yeah. Pinky promise."

After the phone call is over, William sends me a picture of himself holding up his pinky up in the air and I have no other choice but to do the same. It is a pinky promise after all.