CHAPTER ELEVEN

...

The moment we stepped out, a brisk, chill air hit my face, offering a stark contrast to the musty, damp air of the cell. "Max, but what if someone—" I began to protest, looking over my shoulder for signs of trouble.

"Everyone's asleep, don't worry." Max reassured me with a warm smile, positioning himself ahead and leaning on the square-shaped pillar.

The sky was a fusion of cold night colours. The remaining moons' light managed to blind my unadjusted eyes, forcing them to squint. The winds were too strong, almost comparable to those from the harsh desert storms, carrying with them a peculiar, alien smell.

"...Why did you free me?" I questioned cautiously, keeping a safe distance from him.

"You seem like a decent person," Max responded, his voice steady, "And I didn't want to see you being held like one of these criminals." His tone was stark when he mentioned them. "Real murderers."

His words made my heart pound against my chest. "Murderers? I thought the last people who ever killed someone were the liberators at the Great Revolution Day?" I inquired, my bewilderment apparent.

Max paused, then spoke slowly. "...Yeah, you're right. These were the people of Greys that made an invasion in Vedasgrad's silver tower and killed hundreds of Dalian people in order to reach the Council and dethrone them."

"Can't say I wouldn't support them." I spoke up, my gaze unwavering.

He seemed taken aback. "...Annihilating innocent Dalian silver-eyed people? Your eyes are blue, aren't you Savitorian?" Max questioned, his gaze shifting to meet mine.

The question hung in the air, threaded with curiosity and disbelief. "Yes..." I confirmed with a slight nod of the head, a gust of wind disheveling my long hair, moving it in a playful dance.

Observing my features more closely, Max confirmed the suspicion, "You are a human..." 

"...Of course," I nodded.

The Greys were looking like normal humans would look like, but were also rumoured to have slit-like pupils, closely resembling those of reptiles. However, they were just rumors. And rumors, like the strong gusts of wind sweeping across the place, have a tendency to be wild and unreliable.

"Then, as a human, tell me, why would you support the massacre of your brother's Great Race?" the tone in his voice held a mixture of anger and disbelief.

Max just gazed at me in silence, his face unreadable.

"Don't call them great," I spat out the word as if it left a bitter taste in my mouth. "The Dalians were the only Race out of four that were against unity. They only wanted superiority and control over the three other Great Races, at whatever humanly possible cost..."

My words were met with an inscrutable stare from Max. My heart pounded against my ribs as an uncomfortable silence loomed between us. He finally broke the silence, "It's your opinion. I understand."

I stared back at him, my brows furrowed in a challenge, "Don't tell me your opinion on Dalians and their terrible deeds is any different?" I took a step forward to emphasis my point.

Max merely shrugged, a disinterested smile playing at the corner of his lips. "You won't understand my opinion and I won't try to persuade you to change yours."

Although his dismissive stance was infuriating, I was genuinely curious to understand his perspective. His indifference piqued my curiosity even more. I insisted, "How about at least trying?"