CHAPTER FIFTEEN

...

The klaxon blared like the call of an unnatural beast, and Ian shot out, sure-footed and swift as an avenging bolt of lightning. Caught off guard, I stumbled over my start but managed to recover quickly - there was no room for mistakes here. The echo of my mentor Max rang in my ears: "Survival is for the one who can endure the most."

I pushed on, past fatigue and the haunting memory of the day I'd arrived, past the bustling communal dining area where the rest of the frightful crew surreptitiously observed this unusual spectacle. Feeling the collective breath of the viewers, the heat at my heels swelled, and so did Ian's envy. I saw it clearly when I finally caught up with him, a flash of irritation in his eyes as we dashed past the outdoor kitchen.

Without warning, his elbow jabbed into my side, propelling me toward the blazing fire pit. In the second that elapsed, I made a split-second, daring decision in response to his antagonism.

Springboarding from a log, I leapt across the fire, the flames hungrily licking at my ankles. I could hear the collective gasp of horror and awe from the crew that watched on. Their silent night had turned into a live spectacle.

Cursing, Ian seethed at being bested. He was going for the win, thinking he had sealed my downfall. But, gritting my teeth and re-channeling my pain, I thrust against him with my shoulder and sprinted harder. He faltered, swaying momentarily under the unexpected force. Catching his breath, he launched a volley of choice curses wrapping every word with venomous anger. But victory was mine.

By the time I reached the finish line, Jay, the solitary remaining person, greeted me with a smirk. His small, case-hardened eyes gleamed brightly in the eerie luminescence of the camp. Propping my hands on my knees, I fought for breath while Ian, now scraping at the last bits of his ego, joined us at the finish line seconds later, his face twisted in madness and defeat.

My heart thumped in exhilaration, my skin sticky with salty sea air and a layer of sweat as I sat there, listening to Jay's hearty congratulations. They were words I wouldn't have expected in my wildest dreams. I had won.

Jay, a hulking figure, weather-beaten and roughened from years spent battling the island, looked down at me, his cobalt blue eyes sparkling with an unusual sense of admiration.

"Congrats!" His deep, chortling baritone echoed in the surrounding emptiness. His gargantuan hand clapped my shoulder with an enthusaism that bordered on painful.

"Others left as you see. Didn't believe in your victory, newbie. But I did! I could feel the desperation in you. And that..." he let his gaze crawl over my face, sounding deeply philosophical for a man of few words, "is the most important thing to survive on this island."

Footsteps crunched on the wind-sculpted sand behind us, and Ian emerged, his face reddened with exertion or anger, I couldn't tell which.

"But she cheated!" He exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at me, "She pushed me near the finish line! I would have won easily!"

I clenched my jaw, trying to contain the rage bubbling inside me at his blatant lie.

Jay's eyebrows drew together in a frown, "Is that true?"

I was about to argue my innocence when a brisk female voice answered for me, "Absolute bullshit!"

We turned to the figure making her way towards us. A dark-haired girl with piercing black eyes and lightly tanned skin, to anyone else her stance screamed confidence. To me, it was an assurance of a possible ally.

"This idiot pushed this new girl literally into the fire before our eyes at the air kitchen! Can you imagine that, Jay?" Her tone held a heavy dose of accusation aimed squarely at Ian.