12. The Witching Hour

His mouth is so close, I feel his breath. A thought dances in my brain: this is it! I am about to be kissed for the first time. But then my stupid brain takes a sour turn, goes on the attack, and darkness descends. "Are you sure you want this?" I say.

"Why wouldn't I?"

It's only fair to tell him. "You'd be kissing a monster."

"Show me your claws, and I will share my flesh. Show me your fangs, and I will happily give you my blood. You already haunt my dreams. So yes, this is what I want."

Suddenly his lips press against mine, moving gently but firmly, then not so gently. He thrusts his tongue into my mouth and my tongue meets his. My body is set aflame the kiss deepens and deepens, and soon my brain surrenders its assault. I am pure spirit and joy and never want to awaken.

That was the moment I decided to pursue a career in law

That was the moment I decided to pursue a career in law ...

... and never again fall victim to verbal trickery.

Just kidding!

That was the moment I resolved to throttle the evil queen and force her to reverse the spell. Or else!

I am Rowan Keckilpenny-Brown! Harbinger of evil. Destroyer of gyms, cemeteries, kitchens, firewalls, and now, evil queens!

This would be my new mantra!

My dads sat there, peering up at me with their bulbous eyes, jabbering in a tone reminiscent of a fingernail running along the teeth of a stiff comb. Even as anger coiled in my chest, I wanted to scoop them up and hold them tight, though I was a little weirded out by their bumpy skin. Like maybe I'd contract warts or something, given that I was apparently a witch. Just because Petronella didn't have warts (that I could see), didn't mean it wasn't a witchy trait.

Blue lightning sizzled from my fingertips, my eyes, and I'm pretty sure, also my ears given the way the tips were burning. I was my own personal storm. Clenching my jaw, I narrowed my eyes and pointed zappy fingers at my target—the evil queen's chest—and visualized what it would be like if her heart ceased to beat. I smirked at the image.

"Turn them back. NOW!" I demanded. "Or else!"

"How sweet! You're threatening me. But dearest, you are but an amateur."

"Never call me an amateur!" I screamed, unleashing my zappiness with such force that I toppled over backward and hit the ground hard on my tailbone, missing our new kitchen pit by mere inches. Argh! Even worse, the queen absorbed all that power without mussing a single hair on her head.

"Aren't you adorable thinking you can overpower me?" Petronella said, leaning over and tweaking my chin like I was a toddler. I could smell her lavender perfume. Yuck! I hated lavender, and that alone was legal grounds for her immediate death. She held out her dainty grandma's hand to me. "Come along now."