24. Never Feed your Demons

Before I could fly, someone tugged the magic carpet out from beneath my feet. I fell hard on the stone floor, screaming in pain and frustration. "I want to fly!" 

"You're not ready. You may never be ready."

"Whose fault is that?"

"If you need to ask that question, I fear you shall never reach the skies."

"If you keep pulling the carpet out from under me, I fear you shall never reach adulthood!"

The antidote cream worked like magic.

Which made sense, since it was magic.

Thank goodness for Vermeil, who had told me about the cream and then obediently disappeared into the walls. I never thought I'd be grateful to a rat, but a fairy tale existence makes you seriously question all your beliefs.

I paused at the vanity mirror to make sure all was in order before letting the demon into my room.

Hey!

I looked in the mirror because I didn't want anyone else screaming when they got a look at me, not because I cared about what Ash thought. I just didn't need him being distracted by Petronella's face because this was the most important lesson I could have: to learn the inner workings of the Brittlebane computer systems, find the spell to turn my dads back, and see if there was an inter-realm GPS to help us get home.

I ran my fingertips over my shiny, sleek curls. They had never been this tamed. Those minions were magic with hair, even if they did have problems in the facial department.

The cute ice-green Olivia gown (that girl was a fashion genius!) from my closet hugged my body perfectly, and was all laced, buttoned, and tied.

The face staring back at me was mine.

You never appreciate your face until you have to wear someone else's.

Especially that of an ancient evil queen.

Trust me on that.

My reflection gave me a thumbs up.

Apparently, I'd become super acclimated to the wonky laws of Brittlebane physics because I didn't even react. "Thanks," I said, returning the gesture. "You look pretty good yourself!"

My reflection winked.

Satisfied that I wouldn't scare the demon to death (if that's even possible), I sashayed toward the door, admiring the swish of my skirts. "Lubris, are you going to open up now so I can have my lesson?"

"He had the correct password."

I raised my eyebrows. "Which was?" I said.

"Can't tell ya," Ash said. "Or I'd have to kill ya!"