44. A Ghost, a Witch, a Minion, and a Rat Walk Into a Trap

"When battling villains, never put too much trust in the element of surprise. Villains are sneaky. They cheat. And often they have surveillance devices tracking your every move. Your best bet is to think like a villain. Arm yourself to the hilt, find some useful sidekicks, and be prepared for anything."—Rowen Keckilpenny Brown

"Who you calling a sidekick?"—Blade

"I said 'useful' sidekick."—Rowen Keckilpenny Brown

"And I suppose I should be grateful?"—Blade

"Yes?"—Rowen Keckilpenny Brown

"Hey! Careful where you aim that thing!" I said

"Hey! Careful where you aim that thing!" I said. I raised my hand in the universal gesture of "cut it out," then checked my silver jumpsuit for snags. What? It was my favorite item of clothing since I'd arrived, and I didn't want it wrecked the first day. Olivia's outfits were stunning, but everyone knows it's better to kick butt in Lycra vs. a ballgown. Also, the thought of wearing her creations gave me the creeps. Given what happened to her poor test subjects while working on the magic-sucking machine of evil, she probably sacrificed puppies and unicorns testing her fabrics.

A brown eye peered at me through the gash in the door. "Aim what thing?" Blade said.

"Your sword! You nearly ruined my outfit."

The eyeball moved up and down. "I'd say nothing could ruin your outfit. You look—"

"What? Too shiny? Too silver? Too wannabe superhero?"

"No. Amazing is what I was going to say. Don't put words in my mouth."

" This is no time for you to be checking me out. Get to work. We have a queendom to save, and Olivia could be taking the oath as we stand here arguing!"

"I was working, but now I think I'll just ogle you."

"Move your eye away from the door and get me out!" I stomped my foot.

He winked at me through the crack. "Nope. Too busy ogling."

"Ugh! Fine, I'll do it myself."

I eyed a less enormous sword on the wall. Not as flashy as the longsword but possibly more deadly because it was one I could probably wield. "Veni ad me gladio," I encanted. 'Come to me, sword' in Latin. The sword flew off the wall.

"Help!" Vermeil cried, falling flat, the sword missing him by a whisker.

"Vermeil!" I screamed as the sword continued its hurtling, straight at me, pointy part first.

"Duck!" Vermeil said.

So, I ducked, heart galloping, as the tip of the blade bit into the door like an arrow hitting a bullseye. Two inches lower, it would've flown straight through the hole and skewered Blade like a kabob. Out in the hallway, a sword clattered onto the stone, followed by a grunt from what sounded like a very annoyed minion. Luckily none of us had been permanently harmed by my poor magical aim.