19. The Daily Mirror

"You saved me," he said, his warm breath on my neck made goosebumps erupt all along my arms. "I didn't think you would."

I nuzzled closer, begging him with my mind to kiss me. "I said I would, didn't I?"

"People say a lot of things. Would you like some ice cream?"

I loved ice cream, but I was disappointed about the lack of kissing. "Where did you get ice cream in a dungeon?"

"We're not in a dungeon."

"But ..."

"We're in your dream, and in dreams there can be ice cream any time you like."

"This can't be a dream."

"Why not?"

"Because in my dream, there'd be way more kissing."

He pulled me closer, and pressed his sculpted lips against mine. The kiss was deep, and as our tongues touched, heat coiled in my belly. I moaned, wishing I had the magic to keep the kiss going forever.

His lips curved into a smile, and he pulled away.

"Why are you stopping?" I objected.

He laughed, obviously enjoying the power he had over me. "Are you convinced it's your dream now?"

"I'm not sure. I think I might need you to prove it a little more."

I was quite busy having a VERY GOOD DREAM that involved me rescuing Blade from the dungeon and him rewarding me with warm lips and a mountain of ice cream, when the earthquake hit, rousing me from the deepest of sleeps

Being from California, I sat up as fast as a rattlesnake from between the downy covers, heart hammering, and shouted "earthquake!" But oddly, the shaking stopped. "Never mind," I said to no one and slipped back beneath the duvet, hoping to re-summon the dream.

The bed shook.

I sat, gripping the covers, clenching my teeth.

The shaking stopped.

"What is going on?" I demanded. "Quit it!" I laid back down, yanking the covers up to my chin.

The bed did not comply. In fact, this time, it shook so hard it tossed me out. I landed hard on the fur rug, still wrapped in the blankets.

The books giggled.

Sadly, by now, the dream had faded into that misty realm where dreams went after you'd been unceremoniously awakened by an alarm clock or a nagging parent or an obnoxious bed.

"Okay, I'm up!" I cried, as the books continued their mockery, including the one I'd thrown onto the floor the night before from Olivia's basket: Evil Queening for Dummies, my least favorite of all books except for maybe Twilight, because of the vampire-obsessed heroine with poor judgment.