23. You Rejected Your Familiar and Now You Want to Grovel and Beg Forgiveness

"When do you plan on telling her the truth about who you really are?"

"The lie is so old by now, it's practically the truth."

"Lies don't turn into truth just because they're old. They eventually start smelling up the place."

"I'm not an idiot, I just prefer a stinky lie to Armeggedon."

"Where is your sense of adventure?"

Okay, so I blew up the spa!

Stop looking at me like I'm an out-of-control fairy tale villain!

Try putting yourself in my place.

Let's say you've just had a total makeover in the evil queen's spa.

You can't help but wonder what this transformation will mean for your life.

Will you be so beautiful that Miles will be in love with you at last?

(Not that you want Miles anymore, but how fun would it be to have him fall hopelessly in love with you and then crumple his heart in your fist like an unwanted parking ticket? Answer = Very fun!)

Will the enchanted mirrors declare you the fairest one of all?

Will you be voted Coffin Ridge High's Most Likely to Become a Supermodel/Computer Genius?

So maybe I went a little overboard there, but a girl can't help but dream.

Then ...

The spa minions spin you in the chair so you're facing the mirror. Your heart is pounding. You're full of hope that finally, you'll be gorgeous. But also, you're a little worried, because once you've been primped, plucked, slathered, and pampered by the experts, you know you'll never look better. You force your eyes open and look in the mirror.

And almost fall off the chair.

Or maybe you're like me, and you have out-of-control magic, and you blow up the spa.

Why?

How would you feel if you looked in the mirror and the reflection was the exact duplicate of your "mother/500-year-old evil queen," in so much sparkly makeup, you could star on Euphoria?

You would've done the same thing.

Admit it.

The question is, how did this happen?

The answer?

It's a long story. Thank goodness you're already here in my story, so I can tell you everything! Eventually.

 Thank goodness you're already here in my story, so I can tell you everything! Eventually