Part 8 - Chapter 36

Two weeks after Eran and Riley first made love, Eran finally completed his finals—exams, projects, papers, and part of his thesis

I'm so glad we're unofficially living together, Eran had thought to himself several times during the busy week. He could see Riley at least every morning and every night. When Eran had started his finals, it was the time when Riley needed to start studying for his own. Oftentimes, he instead "studied" Eran. The time when Eran refused Riley's badgering to go to sleep, Riley—the jerk that he was—would stroke Eran's head gently, and then Eran would nod off without realising. Not once had only one of them spent the night in bed alone, even if that meant sleeping on the couch or spreading a blanket on the floor.

The night after Eran came home and announced he was finished for the semester, Riley took the opportunity to make up for the kisses they hadn't had time to exchange for a week. Riley's lips and hands were so warm and felt so good on his skin that he'd fallen asleep before Riley could even get Eran's shirt more than halfway off.

Now, Riley was the busy one and Eran had to be patient.

After having eaten out with his colleagues one night, Eran came home to be greeted at the door by an angry Riley.

"Where have you been?" he asked like a father whose child had returned past curfew.

"I thought you'd be too busy to cook, so I ate out."

"Why didn't you text me?!"

Eran glanced away and scratched a nonexistent itch on his head. "I didn't want to disrupt you while you were studying."

Riley's eyebrows furrowed and jaw dropped in astonishment. "I'm not so busy that I can't even read a text message!" He covered his face with both hands in exasperation.

 "I'm not so busy that I can't even read a text message!" He covered his face with both hands in exasperation

Halfway through the week, Riley came home, sat down, and started playing video games.

"You're not going to study?" Eran asked, shoving a bag of potato chips in a discrete corner of the pantry on a low shelf.

"If I study any more, I forget things."

Eran figured now was a good time to tell Riley some important news. He sat down beside his calmed boyfriend. "There's something I need to tell you."

Riley had paused the game before Eran finished his sentence. With one hand, he grabbed Eran's jaw by both sides and turned the man's head to face him. "You've been bad."

Eran looked back at Riley with shocked, worried eyes. His aggressiveness is hot but scary. Riley slightly raised and turned Eran's head making just enough room... Eran stiffened in shock as Riley's tongue licked and lips sucked just above his collarbone. It was for a brief moment, but Eran still wasn't able to relax even after Riley let go.

"Well," Riley started nonchalantly, "I'm back now, so I'll make sure you're eating properly again."

Ah, I was caught. Eran cursed the crumb that gave him away but felt somewhat thankful for its presence.

"So what did you want to tell me?" Riley asked, bringing Eran out of his lustful stupor. Completely out of it.

He fidgeted. "My professor is going to a conference in Québec for a presentation. He wants me and a couple others to help him prepare. The conference is in a little over a week. After your finals. And he wants me to come. It goes on for three days." Eran took a small breath.

Riley was silent for a long time, displaying a serious, thoughtful expression. Then he smiled. "Then, I'll just have to make the most out of the time we can be together for the next week." His expression shifted as he added, "Make sure you eat properly. And text me sometime."

He really is mature. "It's not for another 10 or so days."

Riley nodded like he didn't understand why Eran was repeating himself. "At that time, I'll remind you of everything I said." There were some moments of silence before Riley spoke again. "Should we go on a date before you leave? Or when you get back?" Riley suggested in a hopeful tone.

Another date? Their last "date" was supposed to be ice hockey but instead was mostly Riley running into and falling onto Eran several times—purposefully Eran had quickly noticed. Riley had been grinning and giggling even as Eran countered—okay, more like punished—Riley by hitting—okay, more like attacking—with his hockey stick.

"I know! You can teach me some aikido on our next date." Riley smiled excitedly.

I'm starting to wonder if it's physical activity he wants... or physical contact.

More than a date, Eran was thinking about Riley's birthday at the end of the week. But going on a date to do aikido that day before going to Bubba's might be a good idea. It'd be a good distraction for Riley.

"What do you want for your birthday?" Eran asked a few hours later. Riley smirked and opened his mouth, but Eran quickly cut him off. "And don't say 'You.'"

Riley closed his mouth and smiled guiltily with apologetic eyes. "Hm... If it was your birthday, what would you want? Honestly?"

Eran only took a second to think. "I'd want you to make me breakfast. And something really good for dinner. And I'd want you to blow dry my hair. Then hold me close all night while I sleep."

"Those are things I do normally, right?"

Eran bit his lip. For the most part, yeah... He sighed. I get it.

"I don't want anything. Just spending time with you satisfies me enough. Sorry, but it's the truth."

Eran mumbled, "Fine," and leaned against his lover. I guess it makes sense that someone who's been alone would only want the opposite. Can I really make you happy just by being by your side? If so, that's too easy; the same is all I need from you.