#5 game on

i just came back from work exhausted. it has been one week working with eric and i've been having so much fun. i met players like federico valverde, josé maría giménez, rubén neves, álvaro morata, and more. i had a rough start but then began to get better. i guess balding a guy was the fuel i needed to improve my skills while also being careful.

i arrived home and i felt relieved. it was a bit cold outside and my idea was to be on my warm bed. i changed into my pajamas, put on some warm socks and took off my makeup, then i dived on my bed and wrapped myself up in my blanket.

i let out a big sigh. i didn't know that working at a barber shop could be this tiring. it is lots of fun though.

it was time to relax, so i put on my comfort show, gossip girl, and lit up a vanilla scented candle. it smelled so good.

my plan for later today was to go and watch atlético de madrid with eric at 9:00pm. it was joão's last match with the team, so joão invited his family and eric and told him he could bring a friend. eric wanted to invite me, and i told him that i was not sure if joão would be pleased to see me, but he insisted me to come with him.

after a while, i blowed off the candle and took a nap with the sound of the tv on the background.

6:00pm

i woke up, yawning and stretching my arms. the smell of vanilla was still there. i looked out the window and it was windy, so i figured i should wear something warm.

for bottoms i chose black jeans, together with a pair of black socks and black converse. on top i put on a white t-shirt and a beige hoodie. i went for a neutral makeup look and lightly curled my hair.

i had dinner a bit early and waited until eric picked me up at 8. i opened the door and sat on the passenger seat. he smiled, his green eyes looking at me.

"why so smiley?" i asked.

"nothing," he said. "it's just i'm really happy to be working with my lovely cousin."

i smiled. "i can say the same."

we got to the stadium and there was a crowd waiting to get in. there was a long line. however, we got in faster because we had vip seats and entered through another door.

we found our seats. we were really close to the pitch, in the lower seats.

after waiting for a while, the teams came out to the field. i saw various clients of ours dressed up in their jerseys and shorts, looking fabulous with their new haircuts. i instantly spotted joão, his hair shaved but a bit grown already. his jersey was the number 7 and he played forward.

the match started and continued 0-0, until the opposing team scored a goal almost before the first half finished. in the extra minute atlético scored a goal by penalty. then, the second half went on 1-1. on minute 76' i saw joão receive a pass from his teammate. he dodged one player, then another and then he kicked the ball onto the goal. he celebrated, running and pointing towards the crowd. his teammates run to hug him. eric and i stood up to celebrate.

the match concluded 3-1 with another goal from atlético de madrid. joão waved at the fans that were cheering at him. eric and i got up from our seats, he said he wanted to congratulate the players.

we went near the changing rooms, there was a lot of noise from the winning team. after waiting for a while we run into joão.

"hey man! thanks for coming," joão said, shaking eric's hand and patting his back. he was smiling, but as soon as his eyes met mine, his smile almost dropped. joao looked startled as he greeted me with the same grin, but something felt off.

it was a smile too perfect to be genuine, like the ones im used to seeing in glossy magazine covers or paparazzi photos.

his hand was tense when it wrapped itself around mine. he gave it a simple shake before concentrating on eric once again. i felt uncomfortable and i couldn't help but feel confused; was he still mad over his hair?

"always a pleasure joão, congratulations for the win," eric replied. "are you celebrating with the team?" he asked.

"for sure, we're having dinner right after, this was a nice way to close the year." he answered. "i was thinking of meeting up on sunday too, with the guys. are you in?"

"of course, i'll see you there." eric responded.

"elena, you can come too. bring friends if you want," said joão.

"oh cool! i can do that."

eric went to congratulate the rest of the team, he knows most as he often receives them at the salon. joão and me stood alone.

joão                                                                  
"hey-"

elena
"about-"

"go on," i said.

"i just want to apologise for getting mad and ignoring you after last week's incident," he said while rubbing his hands.

"it's okay, i understand why you got mad, it's me that has to apologise. i know how important your hair can be and i shouldn't have used the clippers if i was unsure."

a guy passed by and shouted to joão:
"hey man, who cut ur wool?!" he exclaimed, laughing.

i couldn't help it and laughed a bit, then i saw joão's ticked off face staring at me and sealed my lips.

"you idiot" he said to me. he feigned an annoyed expression on his face, yet i saw the corners of his mouth and eyes rising, trying to fight against it. he looked away from me.

"i'll see you on sunday," he said, facing me again, lifting his brows and walking away, his hand holding his bag strap.

i went with eric to greet other players and then we left to the car.

"so? how did things go with joão? i saw you talking to each other" he asked.

"oh they went fine, we apologised to each other. i think things are good now. his hair is a little longer too."

"great! see, i told you that you shouldn't be too worried and... and that hair grows back," he said, winking an eye at me and laughing.

the rest of the car ride we listened to music and chatted about tomorrow's clients, then he left me at my house.

it was now 11:32pm so i did my night routine speedily. as soon as i got under my blanket i invited mariah, daniela, and ana to joão's place on saturday. they all said yes with no doubt.

i cannot wait for saturday, i've been wanting to hang out with friends for a while now and i have a feeling that we're gonna have a marvellous time.

author's note
how do you like the story so far? :) thanks for reading! 💋