Six: Condemned

Jun Lin's fingers were cool as the tips pressed against James' temple, her palms resting in the hollows of his cheeks. She watched him with a sad look before once again she closed her eyes, opening them only to reveal an all-consuming, all-seeing blackness. James felt the hair on his arms stand on end and he fought to suppress the shiver that ran down his spine, as her black gaze seemed to swallow him, tearing him apart to get to his very soul. He tried to hold her gaze, not to waver, not to fear her.

The steel floor beneath him was cold and hard, uncomfortable, but not near as uncomfortable as staring at Jun Lin. He could not hear a sound from those gathered behind him, not a sighed breath or an uncomfortable cough. The staff too, looked on silently, as if watching some entrancing performance, all too engrossed to worry about him, all too detached to care. All save one. Ashley Porter watched him, positively distressed. Her eyes were wide and fearful, her lips moving rapidly as if she was muttering to herself. She looked worn and wearied, her red hair dank and lifeless against her hunched shoulders. As James turned his green eyes on her, seeking solace in the hostile arena, from Jun Lin's haunting gaze, she seemed to break. Whatever had been holding her together snapped and tears ran down her face as she turned and fled the stadium, unnoticed by anybody. James felt his face pucker into a frown, but he had no time to think about what had just happened, as the headmaster finally turned on him.

"Are you James Alexander?" Elmhirst hissed, bending so his mouth was close to James' ear. James reluctantly glanced back at Jun Lin, her fingers still holding his head in place.

"Yes," James replied, ensuring his voice didn't quake as he spoke. Play the game, he hissed to himself, though he had little hope that playing the game would matter under Jun Lin's all-seeing gaze. Jun Lin nodded slowly, pressing her lips together. James gritted his jaw fearing where she was looking, what she knew. He was trying not to think of Charlotte, but with that effort she seemed ever prevalent.

"Are you our Head of House?" Elmhirst asked, straightening up and pacing around Jun Lin and James, his arms folded behind his back.

"Yes," James repeated, trying to keep his answers simple and clear. He could not afford to lie or get lost in details.

"And Miss Owens... where is she?" he asked, turning around and fixing him with an ice cold stare. James swallowed hard. His hands were clammy, his heart racing.

"I don't know," he whispered, trying not to think too much about where she was. Jun I have no idea – please, he pleaded inwardly, completely unsure if she could even hear him or read his thoughts. He didn't know how this really worked; he had never cared until now. All he was certain is that he could not say where Charlotte was, not anymore.

"He's telling the truth," Jun Lin replied in a tiny voice, her black eyes holding James captive.

Elmhirst didn't seem to approve of his answer or her guarantee of its truth as his face turned an angry puce colour.

"Do you believe she's dead?" he growled.

"No," James said pushing the words between his teeth. Jun nodded slowly.

"You are certain she is alive?" he pressed.

"Yes," James breathed, knowing he had to work with the truth he knew. He could not lie.

"How? How are you so certain?" he spat, his anger scarcely under control. James could see the strings holding him together beginning to unravel.

"Certain?" James frowned, staring into Jun's dark eyes. Because he will protect her, he thought bitterly before he had even considered the dangers it posed. His eyes widened slightly as Jun's fingers pressed into his skull painfully, tensing at his thought. James' head reeled and he couldn't form a sentence. He tried to keep the sudden panic from his face, though he knew it had flooded his brain jumbling his thoughts, leaving him with no response.