Thirty-Nine: Loss

Matt found himself shoved painfully back against the wall of the diner, the breath knocked from his lungs. For the briefest moment he swelled with pride that Charlotte had regained enough strength to hurt him so easily, but then the moment passed and he set his sights on the hideous being that was Bennett.

Matt stood up a little straighter, uncomfortable at how exposed Charlotte had left herself all in an effort to protect him. Her arms were spread wide across his body, her slim frame offered as a human shield.

"Miss Owens, it's wonderful to see you again," Bennett snarled, his wide grin stretching across his serpentine features. He gazed at Charlotte with black eyes, a greedy glint flashing in their depths, as he reaffixed the leather gloves over his long fingers.

"The feeling isn't mutual," Charlotte replied, her hatred dripping from her tongue with each word. Her body was tensed, every muscle quivering with anticipation or disgust. She regarded him carefully, but to Matt's surprise, did not attack him.  

"Now, now Owens, you forget yourself," Bennett tutted, his black eyes shining maliciously. "You are the property of Kingston - once greatly valued property, though you have devalued yourself greatly of late. Pity the only patron who would have still paid for you is dead".

"Yes, I killed him myself," Charlotte said, the smirk evident in her tone. "I can show you how I did it if you wish?" Matt recalled the dead bodies littered around Nicholls' home, wondering if he was going to see first-hand how her alteration could kill. He wasn't sure it was something he wanted to see, but if it meant they were safe he would stomach it.

"Ah yes, we found your handy work," he smiled, seemingly unperturbed by the gruesome scene left behind in Frank Nicholls' mansion. Bennett seemed nonplussed by the death she had left behind, his sneering features unchanging.

"It was wonderfully done," Charlotte breathed. "And I did it all with my mind". She tapped the side of her temple thoughtfully, threateningly. "I really would love to show you".

"Do you need my permission?" Bennett asked, raising his gloved hands expectantly. "I'm quite surprised you haven't attacked already. I mean, we're not stopping you".

Matt's stomach clenched at the word 'we' and he couldn't begin to think who was hiding in the darkness surrounding them. Charlotte though didn't seem to find this surprising. She could sense them, he knew, or their fears at least.

Matt glanced down at the back of Charlotte's head and frowned. He knew her power, he had seen her use it before. She could take them all out effortlessly. Surely, the Kingston hierarchy had lost its power over her after all this time. He hoped she wasn't hesitating just because it was Bennett who stood opposite her.

Matt clenched his fists, his brows furrowing together as he tried to understand her reluctance, her hesitation. Even Charlotte didn't have an answer to Bennett's musings. She just remained silent, watching him carefully.

"I mean, that's if you want to attack us?" Bennett continued, taking a step towards her and glowering at her.

Still Charlotte didn't answer. Matt wished he could see her expression. He wanted to know what she was thinking, what was holding her back. He placed his hand on her hips, hoping to move her out of the way, but she grabbed his hands and pushed him back, refusing to leave him beyond her shelter.

"I'd listen to your girlfriend Desmarais. We're here for her – you're excess," Bennett grinned.

"I'll be damned if you think you're taking her back," Matt growled, his voice sounding braver than he felt.

"Hear that boys, Desmarais doesn't want us to take her back," Bennett breathed. Charlotte used her body to press him back against the wall again, as two grizzly looking men stepped from the shadows, flanking Bennett on either side. Their muscles rippled beneath their shirts, neither aware of the icy cold pressing in on them, or the need for warmer, winter clothes.