Twenty-Six: Marked

Charlotte stepped into the banquet hall, each footfall placed gently on the marble floor, fearing she would disturb the silence of the Old School. She was surprised to find herself dressed in silk skirts of palest silver and an intricately embroidered bodice, tight against her chest, constricting her breathing. The doors on to the balcony had been thrown open and the warm breeze Charlotte remembered so well greeted her pleasantly. The night beyond was dark and the warm light from the chandeliers gently filled the space, bouncing off the mirrors and polished marble.

Charlotte moved to the middle of the floor, the room empty and silent. There was a strange sense of calm in the room, a nostalgic happiness. Charlotte couldn't stop the laugh that broke from her chest, as she found herself feeling happy to be back at Kingston, happy to be away from Nicholls.

She shook her head not wanting to dwell on such thoughts, instead she let the happiness wash over her as she turned and turned on the spot, the great skirts of her dress billowing out around her, the glistening, pale silver dancing in the soft light.

"Charlotte?" The call was soft, shy almost, causing her to still.

Charlotte turned to the door to see Matt smiling at her, his eyes dancing mischievously, his dimples bright. "Matt?" she breathed, unable to hide her smile as he moved towards her. "What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here?" he laughed, taking her hand and pulling her close as phantom music began to play, soft piano music. He placed one hand on her waist and began to guide her around the dancefloor. "I'm here for you".

"You found my note?" she whispered.

"What note?" he smiled at her, his dark eyes kind.

"The note telling you what Daphne did," she said in a rushed tone. "She sent me away, sent me to Nicholls".

"Nicholls? Charlotte don't be ridiculous. My grandmother would never do such a thing," he replied with a smile.

"Are you serious Matt?" Charlotte snapped, wanting to push him away, but too desperate to keep him close, fearing he would vanish. "Where the hell do you think I am? This isn't some game," she yelled, unable to stop the helpless tears that were rolling down her cheeks. He just continued to smile at her. "I need you to listen to me - you have to help me. You have to find me". Reluctantly almost she pulled herself away from him, pulled herself from the dance. She pinched her eyes together, trying to stem the angry tears. "You have to! Please just find me".

"Charlotte, I promised you I would come and find you," a different voice breathed.

Charlotte opened her eyes, her breathing ragged from the agonised sobs breaking from her chest. Matt had vanished and James now stood before her, his green eyes burning.

"Don't you ever doubt that I am not fighting to find you - I will always fight for you," he breathed, pulling her towards him and continuing the dance.

"James," she breathed, reaching up and touching his face fearful he would vanish just like Matt had.

"Charlotte, I will find you," he repeated, smiling at her, not his head boy grin, but a real smile, a reassuring smile.

"It will be too late," she whispered, suddenly fearful. "It will be too late".

James frowned at her as he halted, the music from the piano washing over them. "It's never too late. You just have to play the game, Charlotte," he whispered, his voice urgent. He took her face in his hands and she breathed a shaky breath, all the memories of him she had pushed away flooding back.

"They are too strong, James," she said shaking her head. "I can't do it - I'm not strong enough".

James frowned as he watched her. "Only strength will beat them Charlotte. If you can't be the strongest you have ever been, you won't stand a chance. If you can't be strong, well then I can't help you," he sighed, letting go of her face. "I can't be strong enough for the both of us". He turned and began moving away from her.