A Clap Worthy Performance

Joy-filled laughter echoed out across a silent cell. It was as if the entire world had gone silent with the only noise being the laughter of one that was condemned to a fate worse than death. One whose suffering was caused by almost everyone present.

"Hahahaha such a good joke from you guys!"

Emilia's desperation was etched on her visage. She had been tempted to freeze everything just so she couldn't hear the taunting laughter of the one she loved. She utterly despised herself.

Reinhard felt as if time stopped for him. He knew that it was all his fault for not speaking. His lack of action condemned an innocent man. No, a friend to this horrific nightmare.

Garfiel stood in disbelief. He couldn't believe what happened to his brother. He could feel his cheeks wetten but he didn't know when that had happened. The moment he saw the state of Subaru, or the moment Subaru started laughing manically.

Ram for the second time in her life felt true misery. Not only did the most important person in her life hate her now but she also saw the fate of the person she thought of as a little brother. The one who remembered her precious sister when she did not. For the past 8 months, she was wondering why Roswaal suddenly stopped responding to anything. She wondered if this was why.

Rem meanwhile was truly furious. More enraged than when her clan was wiped out. The man she loved has been reduced to this by the people he cared about, including her sister. All the while she was asleep after meeting those monsters of the Witch's Cult. It took immense power of will to not summon her horn from how angry she was. She was murderously glaring at everyone responsible for her hero's state.

"So good! So fun! So EXCIIIITING~ I really was dying of boredom here lately, you know? I've been waiting for your prank for three whole days!" He exclaimed while giving them the biggest smile his face could muster.

Felix's already dangerously fragile sanity was shattered. His broken state was getting irreparable. He silently started laughing mixed with crying when he heard Subaru's laughter all the while mumbling apologies after apologies.

Julius felt that this is the greatest dishonor he could ever bring on himself.

"Ahh, I really love you two. Thank you both so much! Also, big thanks to my imaginations. Can't forget that too, especially that performance!" Subaru continued on his tirade of laughter at their good joke. And those expressions they gave him were even more entertaining. So much more entertaining than the usual interactions he had with the imaginations he conjured every night.

He admitted that he got bored from seeing the conjured illusions repeatedly accusing him and having a face of anger. But now he was truly enjoying this new expression from them. Was it sadness? Misery? Pain? It didn't matter because it was refreshing!

He started summoning invisible shadow hands for each imagination he saw, all to clap for their magnificent performance. Making the cell go loud with clapping noises.

"You deserve a standing ovation for such a magnificent! Marvelous! Masterful! Amazing! Awe-inspiring! Incredible! Impressive! Surreal! Spectacular! Superb! Exquisite! Entertaining! Exciting! Delightful! Wonderful performance! Like a wise man once said. My brain trembles!"

Beatrice regained her consciousness from the loudness of the claps.

"S-Subaru..." She called him in a trembling sad voice. Bringing him out of his laughter and stopping his clapping.

"Huh? Oh, Beako! I almost forgot that you were here. Hey, it's about time you joined in on this prank! Speaking of, do you have any good jokes to tell me this time?"

"F...F-Forgive me, I suppose...Please.." Her voice was so weak that it was barely audible. Her sad eyes were looking at his feet, unable to meet his gaze.