A Change of Minds

Pride sighed in utter bliss just before Subaru's inner self took control while still in front of the mirror in Emilia's room. His eyes immediately took a sullen look, almost as if he was bored with everything.

He remained where he stood. Staring at himself through Emilia's mirror and looking over every little detail.

The white hair that had once been raven-black. The eyes that once had more life and emotions in them. The skin and lips that were pale from being in a dark place for a long time. The body that became too thin from being starved. He took off his shirt to see the scars that were imprinted on his body.

While Felix's healing was the best there is in this world, he had intentionally left the scars after healing him. A way of reminding him exactly what they'd do to him the next time they come to visit him in the cell should he not speak of what he knows.

His left hand caressed every scar remembering each and every one of them.

A small line scar on his upper left torso from when a knight nicked him with a nail.

An X shaped scar on the right side of his chest from when a knight had slowly skinned him in that area with a serrated dagger.

Several lines on non-lethal areas from when Julius slashed him with his sword countless times.

Stab marks on his sides and stomach from when the knight, who always brought him food, used a knife while interrogating him. Trying to get him to accept a name that wasn't his.

Then his back which was filled with slash and whip marks as well. More reminders to confess of crimes he didn't commit, to tell of information he didn't possess.

Then he took in the appearance of his left hand, where the marks of the mabeast bites still existed. A circular scar surrounded the upper shoulder as well as the elbow, when a knight cut it off in those two areas and Felix re-attached it. Before they found out about his right hand which could regenerate.

Which led to him inspecting his right hand which was black and leathery from being newly regenerated, a favorite of the knights. It was afflicted with the dragon blood of Capella which extended to his right leg as well.

And finally he lifted his bloodstained pants to see his left leg. Many circular scars existed, as well as stab marks in and around the ankles and the knee.

He recalled his other self's words as he looked at his face in the mirror again.

'This is what our imaginations have done to us.'

'Our hair wasn't white. Our body wasn't thin. The scars on our body will always be there.'

'Why does this world want me to suffer so much ever since day one?' He asked himself.

'Did I offend some deity out there in a past life? Is this why they never answered my prayers? Or is someone out there having fun watching me get hurt endlessly?'

"No...don't take..." A bell-like voice interrupted his thoughts. He turned towards the speaker, the unconscious Emilia on her bed.

He put on the shirt again and walked closer to Emilia. He could see her breathing was heavy and she seemed to be having a nightmare.

"..I didn't mean..Please..."

Subaru stared at her coldly. 'She looks vulnerable. I should just put her out of her misery and get out of this place.'

He wanted to bring his hands towards her neck and yet they wouldn't move. It was as if another part of him was stopping him. His thoughts refocused as she began crying in her sleep.