Falling into the Rabbit Hole

-Priestella-

Three thugs were conversing with one another while walking the alleys of the Watergate city of Priestella on one of the poorer avenues of the city. They had recently robbed a rich merchant's mansion during the chaos that came from the rioting and were happily indulging in the good loot they received. Fancy clothes, accessories, and the likes.

"Oi, gimme that." One of them said as he tried to take over one of the wealthy-looking gems that his friend had found.

"Shut up. I found it first!"

"We're all sharing that you morons, quiet down. 'Sides, with this we can get out of the dump."

That seemed to settle their dispute. They had also been wary of the patrolling knights recently that were enforcing the curfews. Although they seemed to be busier in putting down the riots peacefully. And any knight that was seen outside the garrison was instantly met with scorn and with most people throwing piles of rubbish at them.

Which provided chaos for them to sneak into stalls or mansions and rob them.

Crossing over a bridge, then turning towards an alley to the right, they came across a demi-human with cat ears and a tail, brown hair, and yellow eyes. A rather beautiful one at that judging from her figure and appearance.

She had blue and white ribbons on her hair and was wearing a blue dress with a blue collar, a blue scarf tied around the arm, and finally black tights. Although her clothes were dirtied a bit. She was in a fetal position on the ground. Her eyes and expression conveyed nothingness, seemingly as if she wasn't there.

"Oi, you's thinking what I'm thinking?" One of the three spoke after whistling at the cute feline girl in front of them.

"Yep, yep, yep. Looks like our luck has just increased even more today hahaha! She's dressed like a noble's too. Well if a noble dressed dirty."

"Probably down on her luck. Let's sell her afterwards. She's bound to fetch a decent price." The third and seemingly the leader said with a big grin.

"You's reckon we can keep her for awhile? We rarely come across cat demi-humans that look more human than cat." The one that whistled replied with lustful eyes.

The leader thought about it and agreed. "Ah, why not? Just don't break her too much. Not when she's that beautiful."

As the conversation came to a halt. They all slowly approached the girl and their leader decided to speak up.

"Hello there, milady. I'm Saddler and these are my two other friends, Albus and Grenn." He gestured towards his companions.

"We were just passing around and saw you looking lost and thought to ourselves why don't we help out the damsel-in-distress? Good deed and all, heh."

"..."

"Well? Not going to introduce yourself?"

"..."

Saddler snapped his fingers to gain her attention. "Yoohoo, you there?"

"..."

They looked at each other as she didn't respond. "Oi, we's talking to you." The one named Albus spoke up.

The girl didn't react or even turn in their direction. Her ears didn't even twitch like most demi-human ears do whenever they're listening in.

"Hmm, you reckon she's deaf? Or mute? T'is not right to take a deaf one." The third one, Grenn, talked as if he believed in superstitions.

"Eh, well, don' matter to me. They all make noises anyway, gahahaha. Lemme show you." Albus knelt and slapped her face, in order to make her react to them.