6

Hazel's point of view.

I'm not walking anymore, I'm pretty sure I'm running to the biology class by now. For Vince to text me like that, he must have something important to say. I don't even feel sad anymore. At all. Vince texted me. Like he texts those girls he has in his bed. And he wants to meet me. I run faster until I'm out of breath. The biology is right around the corner. My heart beats so hard. I enter the classroom and... it's empty. I look at the time on my phone. I'm early, that's why. Vince isn't one to be early, ever. I sit on a desk and swing my legs, thinking about Vince. What if he dumps Eve for me? I would love to see the look on her... face. She walks into the classroom smugly with her two fellow cheerleaders. I jump to my feet defensively.

"What do you want?" I spit.

She pretends she's scared and snickers with her friends. They're wearing their cheerleading squad sweaters, Eve's hands in the pockets, laid back.

"And what might you be doing here at this hour?" she asks.

Like that's any of her business. I roll my eyes.

"I'm meeting Vince. My Vince," I growl.

She laughs again.

"Funny, I would have sworn he was my Vince last night, in my bed."

I want to rip her to shreds so bad.

"Listen here, I'll make sure you won't stick around for long. I'll destroy you, Eve," I threaten.

She keeps her smug smile and her calm stance. Her hand slips out of her pocket and stops a recording. My face turns white with shock.

"I bet the whole school would love hearing about that. Maybe you'd even be expelled."

No... I stumble back, weak despite myself. If I got expelled, I'd have to kiss my scholarship goodbye and Parker too. We'd have to move. There's no other good high schools in town. Parker would never forgive me. He'd lose his friends, his team, his passion. I can't do that to him.

"Don't," I beg, my voice trembling.

Eve smiles evilly.

"Convince me, come on," she teases. Her friends laugh. I feel like the walls of the classroom are closing in on me.

I feel like I'm going to be sick. I want to cry so bad, but not in front of them. Never.

"I'll do whatever you want. Just don't, please." My vision blurs with tears but I hold on.

"Stay away from Vince then," she says and my heart shatters like glass.

"Y-yeah, okay. I can do that," I whimper.

Her smile widens. I can't look in her eyes anymore.

"Now shut up and take it."

My head shoots up in surprise. Her friends are getting closer.

"What?" I murmur.

"I said shut up," Eve repeats.

Her friends shove me to the ground. I wince in pain. They start kicking me all at the same time. I hide my face with my arms. It hurts so much. I can't stop myself from crying anymore. Is Vince going to come at all? He's supposed to be here by now. If he sees them hurt me, I'll be saved, right? I bear the pain, waiting for him. My mouth tastes like blood after a particularly strong hit in my stomach. I cough and my throat feels like it's ripping. My body trembles. They finally decide they've had enough and leave me there. Where's Vince? I need him. As they're about to leave, Eve stops right before the doorframe. She takes out her phone and types a number. Smugly, she puts the phone on speaker when the person takes the call. I whine there, on the cold ground. My vision is all blurry. My head pounds and spins. I feel like the pain might kill me.