8

Hazel's point of view.

I lie on the couch, snacking on some chips and watching a stupid soap opera. It's supposed to get my mind off all this but it hardly works. Today is Saturday and yesterday was a very important match for our football team. They won, of course. The coach decided to postpone the celebration to today because he couldn't stay late yesterday and the players agreed. I know I'm invited but... I don't think I should go. Neil probably won't be there. He doesn't attend celebrations since he's been injured. He says he can't enjoy himself with that huge cast of his. He wasn't even there to watch the match yesterday. I missed him. He helps me clear my head.

Parker suddenly walks in, all dressed and ready for the celebration. I think it's at a bar this time. He looks me up and down with a disapproving frown.

"What?" I snap.

"You coming?" he asks.

"Why would I?"

He scrunches his nose in annoyance. "Is this about Vince again?"

Touché. But I can't let him know.

"Why would you think that—"

"It's been months, Haz," he talks over me.

I cross my arms stubbornly and lay back in the couch. "So?"

"So get over it. I can ask him to apologize if you want. Wouldn't be the first time."

I roll my eyes at his sarcastic tone. He's right, Vince has apologized many times before and I have rejected his apology just as many times. People have started to find me petty. I couldn't care less.

"How about no? He hurt me."

"And I'm not invalidating that, Haz. You know I'm not. But what do you even want him to do now?" he asks and I'm not sure what to answer.

I think about it for a moment. "Leave. I want him to leave."

"Too bad, little sis. Vince's sorry ass ain't going anywhere." I let out a dissatisfied grumble.

Parker suddenly grabs me and pulls me off the couch. I stumble, almost kissing the ground.

"Wha—"

"Your sorry ass, on the other hand, is going to a celebration," he announces.

"No way. I don't want to."

He seems disappointed. I almost feel bad.

"Why?"

"I have nothing to do there, Park." I shrug, hoping he gets it.

"Neil's going to be there. Coach said he got his cast off," he says nonchalantly.

I immediately light up. Parker seems surprised.

"Really?"

"Yeah?" he says slowly at my sudden willingness.

"Wait for me, I'll come." I leave to get changed.

The bar is nearby, it only takes us a dozen minutes to reach it. We we walk in, there's already nearly the whole football and cheerleading team, as well as the coach. Right, Eve just had to be there. For some reason, Vince and her are sitting apart. I can't get myself to explain it but the same time, I don't really want to know. Vince is the first one to notice me and he just stares in silence. Not at the both of us, just at me, fixedly. The attention would have been a bliss before but now that I feel Eve's gaze as well, I just shiver. Vince seems to notice my uneasiness and ignore it because he keeps staring anyway. Annoyed, I catch his gaze and hold it, keeping my face hard. What the hell does he want? He raises his eyesbrows at me meaninglessly, maintaining the eye contact until Parker decides to greet the players. Everybody stands up with a glass of beer, gives both of us one and cheers together. They do that every time someone arrives. It grows insufferable so I'm thankful we're one of the last there. Neil isn't here yet. What a shame. I look down at my beer and take a sip. Gross. I grimace. From the corner of my eyes, I see Vince standing up and walking around the table to reach us. To reach me. Parker is already off talking to the coach.

"Stiles," Vince says, smiling.

I can't stand it. Why can't he let go? So for the first time in months, I speak to him. A single, cold sentence that will hopefully have him understand.

"My name is Hazel but keep it out of your mouth anyway," I scowl.

His face changes, his smile falls. He frowns and seems to want to try speaking to me again. And I want to avoid that at all costs.

"Where's Neil?" I ask no one in particular.

Vince is taken aback a bit. I don't care. He has no reason to think he deserves my sympathy after hurting me like this.

"Bathroom," a player answers from around the table.

I nod at him with a smile as a thank.

"Hazel, I—" Vince speaks again because he apparently hasn't had enough trying.

I glare at him but my eyes soften with pain when I see Eve come around. She wraps a arm around his bicep and squeezes possessively. Vince doesn't even look at her.

"Babe," she whines.

"Just a second, Eve," he dismisses like she's a fly buzzing in his ear.

I turn to walk away but can't because a hand hold my wrist. The same that left a red mark on it last time it touched me. I slap it away, suddenly enraged.

"Don't touch me, Vince. I'm done with you," I say, not turning around.

I walk away before I can see his face and feel sad. Neil comes just in time. He's finally walking on his own and his limp is barely noticeable. He dressed up for the occasion, casually but properly. I would be lying if I said I didn't find him handsome. His white button-up stretches over his wide shoulders and around his thick biceps. For the three months he has worn his cast, he's been working out his upper body. His coach told him it was the best he could do as a quarterback. By now, he's almost bigger than Vince. It's hot, really. He notices me and grins wide. I jog up to him to do something I have wanted to do for a while. My arms wrap tightly around his torso and I bury my face in his chest. I make sure not to lean too much weight on him. His leg isn't completely recovered after all. I hear him chuckle as he hugs back. I have needed a hug for a while. A hug from someone who doesn't try to have me make up with a guy who hurt me. I like his smell. Blueberry, firewood and some butterscotch.

"Hi, Haz. Nice to see you too," he teases.

"Whatever Neil." I roll my eyes but I can't stop myself from smiling fondly.

We sit together on the wall seat, on the furthest side from Vince and the cheerleading squad, and we drink, a lot.