16

Hazel's point of view.

My room is a mess. Clothes everywhere, items scattered across my desk, my bed undone. Moonlight is the only thing that lights up the room. I sit on the floor, hugging my knees. My eyes burn with tears. My body still hurts from the bruises Eve made. I feel so... numb. Parker came around a couple times already, bringing me food and crying like this is his fault. It's not. My door is closed. I wish it had a lock. I want to be alone, I've told Parker this. Yet, for some reason, there's a knock at my door. I quiet down, waiting for the person to leave. They don't.

"Stiles, please," Vince speaks on the other side.

I grimace in disgust. Why would Parker let him in again? He came last week. I keep quiet.

"I know you're in there. We need to talk." He sounds pathetically desperate. It's not like him at all.

"Leave," I mutter but he hears it.

"Stiles," he begs.

I refuse to say anymore. I want to see Neil. I want to apologize, to tell him I fucking adore him. I don't think he wants me anymore. That hurts too, out of all things. I decide to sleep the pain off. I drag a pillow to the ground as well as my blanket and sleep until the sun goes back up. Tired, even after sleeping, I shift to my better side as my back seriously hurts, catching a glimpse of the box under my bed. I chuckle, mocking myself. I had forgotten about that. Suddenly very awake, I drag it out and open it. Pictures of Vince and I. Picture I have taken of Vince, pictures he has taken of me. Doesn't matter anyway.

I sort through them. There's the first I ever took of him, when we were freshmen. He was still a bit awkward with himself, a boy suddenly too tall for what he could handle. I remember him asking the coach to accept him in the team because he wanted to make his parents proud. He wanted them to see him for more than an heir to their hotel company. On the picture, he's pausing awkwardly with a football, sticking his tongue out at me.

Then there's the one I took after the summer, at the beginning of our second year. Vince was all buff suddenly, sun-kissed, his blonde hair lighter than ever. That's when he started becoming famous in our school for being the football heartthrob and when he found out he was hot. In the picture, he's at his parents' huge pool in his swimming trunks, flipping his hair back confidently while talking with a random girl.

Then there's one he took of me. It was after a sleepover at our house. My hair was a mess, my makeup ruined. I was half-asleep, trying to push him away. In the corner of the picture, there's Parker, sleeping with his mouth wide open and a piece of popcorn placed in his tongue. I think Vince put it there and wanted to take a picture of it. I'm still not sure how I ended up being the main subject of the picture but I kept it anyway.

Then there's the one we took together after a winning match. I don't remember when that was, all I know is that he was temporarily single at the time. On the picture, he's grinning wide with his perfect smile, eyes squeezed into crescents, hair damp with sweat and water and black makeup dripping off his cheeks. He's unbelievably hot on it, that's probably why, on the picture, I'm holding his head and kissing his wet cheek. The picture comes off as messy and fun, but I bet my heart was racing with nervousness.

And there's one Aaron randomly took when he was testing the camera of his new phone (probably bought with weed money). I'm sitting in the locker room, talking with Parker and Vince is standing there, still in his gear, looking at us. His eyes are the most gentle I've ever seen them and he smiles fondly. I never knew if he was looking at me or Parker but I always liked to believe it was me. Me he loved. It's silly now that I know I'm just another conquest to him—

"I got some sushi, how's that sound?" Parker asks, feigning lightheartedness.

I smile despite myself. I am quite hungry. "Good," I say.

I hear him hum happily before walking in and closing the door behind him. I catch a glimpse of blond hair, down near the ground and freeze. The door closes too fast for me to know whether that was my imagination or not. Parker balances the platter of food on the bed, still not looking at me. He seems determined for some reason. He sits in front of me on the floor.

His eyes soften when he sees the contents of the box. "You know he's still outside, right?"

Since yesterday or... since last week? I shake the question off. I look at Parker blankly and sigh.

"I don't care." I close the box, handing it to him. "Throw this out for me. Please."

"You're sure?" He looks like I just kicked him. I don't know why he's taking Vince's side suddenly.

"Yes. Get it out of my sight."

"Okay," he mutters, sliding the box behind him.

He gives me my platter and I eat silently. He tells my about Eve being expelled and the school starting a new campaign on bullying. I don't care. He keeps talking and I get lost in his words.

"How's Neil?" I ask, cutting him off.

He smiles softly. "He's good."

"Can I see him?" He nods.

"I'll give him a call." He stands up, taking my emptied tray and the box.

"Thank you," I tell him as he leaves.

15 minutes of silent, helpless brooding later, the door bursts open. Neil is there, looking at me like I'm the only the woman on Earth. I don't know what to say. I'm glad he's here. I consider telling him but before I can come to any conclusion, he kneels to take me in his embrace.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for leaving. I'm sorry for everything," he whispers.

He feels warm and gentle. I needed that. I hug him back tightly.

"I'm glad you're here," I finally decide to tell him.

He backs away to see my face. He looks like he might cry. I peck him softly on the lips to prevent that. I still can't understand why I won't fall in love with him. It's not fair. As we stare at each other, there's a loud thump in the hallway.

"Vince!" Parker calls.

Alarmed, I peek through the opened door. Vince is unconscious on the ground, so pale he looks dead.