19

Hazel's point of view.

I hear Parker cough dryly from his room as I prepare for the party. I shuffle through my closet. The party is casual, though Vince, his parents and the high-class guests are always fancily dressed. I end up choosing tight black leggings and the jersey of our football team that Neil left me. I enter Parker's room after knocking. He lies on his bed, all stretched out like a starfish, breathing heavily.

"Hey, Haz," he says tiredly.

"Hey, Park. Do you need anything before I leave? Water, medicine—"

"I'm good."

"Or a hug?" I raise my eyebrows at him cheerily.

He laughs. "Well, come on then, my arms are open already."

I cuddle him up tight. He's burning with fever. Hopefully he gets better soon.

"Rest well, big bro," I tell him.

"Wait," he calls out as I'm about to leave.

I quirk an eyebrow at him.

"Is that Neil's jersey?" he asks as if he didn't know the answer.

I giggle. "Yeah, what about it?"

"Another man's jersey to your boyfriend's birthday party?"

I think for a moment. "When you put it like that..." I scratch the back of my neck sheepishly.

"That's so mean—"

I start reconsidering.

"Do it," he concludes.

I huff in laughter. "That's why I love you, Park. I'll see you later!"

As I make my way to the exit door, I hear him bid me goodbye.

The party venue is the Blakes' mansion this year, this seems to be the biggest party yet since our freshman year. Probably because Vince is turning 18. I get there in bus and enter without much fuss. Once inside, I listen to the music, eats some of the siders and make my way to the sofas where the football team is huddled up. They all greet me, flashing happy smiles. I always like these parties. It's a rare opportunity to have everyone at the same place, having fun. I see Vince from afar, discussing with guests with a man by his side. The man has a tablet, seemingly noting down whatever Vince does or says. I suppose he's his assistant for the night. These parties are business meeting in disguises, Vince once told me. Vince notices me, smiles, frowns looking at my outfit and then raises an eyebrow at me. I smile at him, proudly teasing.

"So you did get invited this year?" Aaron asks with a seductive tone.

I turn to him in surprise. He clearly has had one too many drinks.

I cringe a bit. "Of course, she did! She's Vince's girlfriend," a player says.

"I am not—" I start denying but Aaron's hand grabbing my waist cuts me off.

"Dance with me, then," he says. It sounds like an order. I allow him to drag me to the dance floor, hoping he can piss off afterwards.

We dance for a bit, swaying to the music. He's a decent dancer and so am I, but I get a kick out of pretending I'm not. I step on his feet, over and over, to get him to leave at once. He doesn't.

"Stop pretending you don't want me,"he stubbornly slurs in my ear.

I frown. I jump when his hand slides up my jersey.

"Don't do that," I snap, pulling his hand out.

"Why not? Neil is allowed. Vince is allowed."

I try to get out of his hold. He grips my wrists, hard. It hurts.