7

Hazel's point of view.

I wake up to sun in my face and pain in my limbs. Neil greets me and nothing more. I guess he understood that I won't answer his questions. I can't handle someone else knowing about the way Vince and Eve tricked me.

"Parker is on his way," he says.

I nod, sitting on his couch silently. Parker eventually arrives. He enters the small house, a sheepish look on his face.

"Hey, man," Neil says and pats him on the shoulder.

Parker gives him a thankful smile before walking towards the couch and crouching in front of me. He takes my hands in his. I hope my eyes don't look as puffy as they feel.

"Not feeling well?" he asks softly.

I shoot Neil a glance. Though I begged him not to tell my brother, I wasn't sure he would listen. He offers me a gentle smile. I look back at Parker. His eyebrows crash together with worry. I don't know what to say to reassure him.

"I think it's my period," I lie.

Parker smiles reassuringly.

"Let's skip school and stay at home today, what do you say?"

I smile back at him.

"Okay."

We bid Neith goodbye and leave. The day goes well and I'm glad it's a Friday. I won't have to see Vince until Monday. I lock myself into my room and Parker let me. I don't remember the last time I cried as much. I even ripped Vince's pictures off the wall, heartbroken. Unable to throw them away, I put them into a box and hid it under my bed. Moving on is hard. Of course, Monday inevitably comes around. I walk into the school, faking my usual confidence. I don't see Eve anywhere, but there are cheerleaders everywhere. I don't know who to trust anymore. I don't want to see Vince but at the same time, all my friends are in the football team. I can't just avoid them all. I tell myself that at least Neil and Parker will be there as I head to our usual spot.

Neil is the first one to see me. He smiles softly at me and waves. I smile back, trying to ignore the sudden attention from the other players. Parker nods at me in acknowledgment and keeps on telling whatever story he was telling to some players.

"You feeling better?" Aaron asks, putting a touchy hand on my shoulder.

Neil seems to tense up and his lips move like he's about to speak. Vince stops him by pushing Aaron's hand off.

"Keep your hands to yourself, man," he tells Aaron with mean eyes before looking at me. "Hi, Stiles." His tone is suddenly teasing and casual.

Though it's a bit insulting to see how he's convinced that I would have forgiven him so quick, I feel like answering with a joke and smiling and hugging him. But I can't. I won't. I can't keep being selfish. I don't answer him, I don't even look at him though I'm sure he's as irresistibly handsome as usual. I briefly wonder if knows how much his girlfriend injured me. I wonder if he'd be any surprised to see the bruises all over my body. I decide to stop thinking about him. Instead, I look at Aaron, right into his brown eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine now." I smile, a little fakely, but I think it looks true enough.

Vince clears his throat awkwardly. Some players laugh at the way I ignored him. Before he can try to speak to me again, I decide to go lean on the wall Neil is leaning on and have some small talk.

"How was your weekend?" I ask.

He bends a bit to look at Vince and then back at me in confusion. I raise my eyebrows to avoid any questions. He gets the hint.