Chapter 1: Hazy

"Sir? Can you hear me?"

Light splashes of water bring him back, his consciousness recovering in slow measure. Blinking heavily he straightens, his mind still fuzzy.

"You had fainted. Are you feeling alright?" The familiar voice asks, sending him a new sense of awareness.

"Um... yes. Sorry about that," Arnav murmurs, completely confused as to how it had come to this point. The only time he faints or comes close to it is when his insulin levels decrease dangerously but he mentally notes that he had taken his medication and had eaten well today. This however, wasn't a case of his threatened health, but simply a result of shock.

"It is completely fine, sir. It can happen to anyone," The nurse assures him sympathetically, helping him up from the seat. Arnav thanks her, regaining his composure.

"Dr. Patel is handling the case, right? I'd like to meet him,"

"Of course. I would have to first ask about your relation to the patients in hand?"

"Nandakishore is my cousin,"

The nurse writes this down, before looking at him again.

"And Ms. Gupta?"

Arnav opens his mouth halfway before staying silent for a lack of a response.

What is his relation to her? Who is he to her?

It seems as if he has known her for an eternity, and yet does not know her at all. He can't even imagine what his life was before she came along, and yet he cannot seem to put a label to their unlikely bond.

Memories of thoughts, words, actions from the past few weeks flood his mind, reminding him of just how multi faceted the reality really is.

Are they friends?

As they walked together towards the exit stairs of the restaurant, Khushi stopped, as Arnav turned around questioningly.

"Whatever happened between us or will happen," She says, meeting his gaze, "But in this case we are together,"

Arnav's lips curved in a slight smile characteristically and he held out his hand promptly.

"Okay then,"

She looked at him with wide eyes, joining her hands in his within a moment or two.

A spark flew at that seemingly innocent interaction, marking the beginning of something new.

~

Are they enemies?

"You don't possess the thing that one needs to be Arnav Singh Raizada," He stated cockily, adding to her confusion.

"I've said it before," He continued, before raising his hand to her head, "That thing is called a brain."

Khushi looked up in sheer indignation. He turned to walk away when she spoke in a rigid voice, surprising herself.

"No Mr. Raizada. I possess something that can never make me be like you,"

His jaw clenched and he turned around to face her once again, curious to know what she had to say.

"Ive said it before," She said smoothly, repeating his earlier statement back to him.

"It's called a heart." Khushi retorted, tapping the left side of his chest twice.

~

Or lovers?

"Where were you?!" Khushi demanded.