Chapter 16: Heat

Fixing a marigold garland that has come loose around a pillar, Anjali smiles at the delicate petals, satisfied with the decorations for today. The main hall is almost ready for the havan. She calls out some last minute directions to Hari Prakash regarding the preparations, before making sure the Pandit ji has everything he requires to complete the havan.

"Anjali bitiya?"

She turns around, only to find her grandmother's kind eyes shining with astonished happiness.

"The marigolds look nice, right Nani?"

Devyani rests her palm against her cheek. "They look beautiful, bitiya. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see you smile,"

Anjali hugs her then, willing herself to keep her tears at bay. Although, these tears aren't of sadness or pain anymore; they are tears of the overwhelming gratitude she feels for knowing herself to be fortunate enough to have such supportive and loving family members. They are tears of joy, for it is her cousin brother's wedding they are celebrating, and she could want nothing more.

The bell rings just then, making the two look towards the entrance. "That must be them! I'll get the door, Nani,"

The moment she opens the door, Anjali is greeted warmly by every member of the Gupta family, with words of support, hugs of assurance and to her surprise, flowers from Khushi.

Anjali beams as she looks at the bouquet, softly questioning the reason behind the sudden gift. Payal smiles at the question before replying, "One doesn't need an occasion to give the gift of flowers, Di,"

The rest of the family agrees, and Anjali poses another question. "How did you know red roses are my favorite?"

Khushi grins, clapping her hands in excitement. "Arre wah! They're your favorite too? I didn't know, Anjali ji. Red roses are actually my favorite, so I thought you'd like them as well,"

Anjali grins right back. "I do. I love them,"

"Please, come inside everyone! Let us begin the havan," Nani calls out, and they all slowly makes their way towards the main hall while carrying the items needed for the ritual.

Khushi's eyes trail towards the stairs, stopping in her tracks when a certain someone dressed in a fitted, grey suit swiftly descends the steps.

---

Hearing the commotion downstairs, he had deciphered that the Gupta's had probably arrived, and that the havan was to start soon. Usually he would not have cared for such rituals, but he understands how much his presence would mean to his Di, and to Akash.

Besides, that's the only reason he may be mildly eager to attend this havan. Not because of her...

Who was he kidding? It's definitely because of her.

---

When he started descending the stairs, he could almost feel her gaze on him. He had promised himself that he would keep from losing himself at the sight of her, but one look, and he is gone. She is a vibrant vision in yellow, light radiating from her very form. He can't help but sigh, a constricted release of air. A result of wanting to, no, needing to be close to her, to feel her.

"Khushi ji! Welcome, welcome!" NK breaks the electricity between them, stealing a knowing glance at Arnav.

"H-hi Nanhe ji," Khushi manages, embarrassed for blatantly being caught staring at him.

Time to activate the plan, NK thinks, steeling himself for the storm he's about to brew. "You look gorgeous!"

Khushi's lips part at the directness of the compliment, instinctively looking at Arnav to gauge his reaction. She expects to see him annoyed, but is flabbergasted to see him calm and collected instead, arms crossed, almost in a challenge. Her mind flashes back to their last conversation.