Chapter 19: Home

Arnav makes the decision he should have made a long time ago.

Enough games. Tonight, I will tell her.

---

The next few hours go by in a whim, as the entire family prepares for the wedding ceremony. Guests start pouring in, relatives and family friends of the Guptas and Raizadas alike. Red and white roses adorn the pillars and walls of Shantivan, while the main area of the mandap is graced with auspicious marigold.

In a room upstairs, the bride gazes at her reflection in the mirror, dazzled by her own beauty. Payal Gupta has never been vain, but in this moment, she admits to herself that she has surpassed her own expectations of what she had imagined to look like as a bride. Her gaze drops at the thought and a blush creeps up her cheeks as she wonders if her groom will think the same upon seeing her.

"Jijaji is going to faint, Jiji," Khushi says, as if reading her sister's mind.

Payal softly slaps Khushi's arm, giggling at the exaggeration.

"I feel so nervous Khushi. But I'm so happy. It's a strange feeling,"

Khushi adjusts Payal's ghoonghat before sitting down to face her. "I understand, Jiji. This is the most beautiful and important day of your life. You're marrying the one you love, and he returns your love in equal ardor. Yes, you're leaving us and home, but you've also gained another home and family. Double the love!" She grins through teary eyes and hugs her Jiji.

A tear escapes Payal's kohl lined eyes and she hugs her little sister tight. "Pagli. I'm going to miss you,"

"What do you mean miss me? I'm going to be visiting! Don't think you'll be getting rid of me," She sticks her tongue out.

"That's right Khushi ji! We want you to keep visiting us every day,"

The two sisters turn to Anjali walking in, the brightest smile on her face that can only be described as the essence of warmth.

"Payal ji, you look gorgeous!" Anjali touches the bride's chin in a gesture of endearment while Khushi smiles at them.

"Oh, Khushi ji! Before I forget, the ceremony will begin in half an hour. Everyone is downstairs, just busy with various last minute preparations. Chhote hasn't come down though – can you please call him?" She could have easily asked Hari Prakash to do the same, but something tells Anjali that Khushi ji and Chhote need to be together in solace before the festivities begin. After receiving solid evidence of fire burning on both sides, she has been as eager as ever to bring the two lovebirds together.

After momentary thought, Khushi nods. "Sure, Anjali ji." Why hasn't Arnav ji come down yet?

---

The water of the pool looks like it's been lit on fire as the sparkling reflection of the fairy lights dances around on its surface. Arnav watches turquoise ripple against gold, the sight holding him captive. His mind wanders to a face, the same one that appears beneath his eyes in the early hours of dawn and in the silence of the night, visiting him in between slipping consciousness and deep slumber.

He feels as though these past few months with her have been equivalent to a lifetime, a part of him still aghast at the fact that not too long ago, he had thought he lost her forever. He closes his eyes at the thought, his chest constricting as he thinks back to the moment his heart had stopped beating.

"There was also a boy with her. Their car got towed, now they're taking the girl away in an ambulance."

Everything around him reduces to nothing except for the mad beating of his terrified heart.