Chapter 2: Hope

The heavy sheet of silence that filled the hall was broken when the group of doctors, led by Dr. Patel, finally came out of the operation theater. The Guptas and Raizadas stood up in unison at their sight, apprehension written across every face.

"Doctor Saab, how is everything?" Nani asks, holding Anjali's hand.

Doctor Patel smiles, "The operation was successful. She is resting now. It may take her a couple of hours to fully regain consciousness, however,"

They nod in understanding, all exhausted from the lack of sleep. The operation had taken well over five hours, the present time being the middle of the night. A sense of relief washes over the atmosphere at the knowledge of Khushi's safety.

Arnav lets go of the breath he had been holding, running a hand through his hair. His usually perfectly ironed shirt is now wrinkled, his waistcoat no longer buttoned. Meticulously gelled strands of hair now fall to his forehead in a disheveled mess, the contours of his face strained with evident stress. The past few hours for him had been spent rushing around to take care of anything needed for NK and Khushi's recoveries, calling Aman in order to inform him that he won't be able to make it to work, along with hoping the operation went well without complications. He may be an athiest to the world but this time, just this once, he rested his faith in the Almighty's hands for her well being with all his heart.

"Chote, you need rest,"

"I'm fine Di," He retorts, silencing his sister effectively. Turning to everyone else, he says, "You guys should go home and get some sleep. Khushi will be up by the morning as well, that'll be the best time for everyone to come see her,"

"And you, Bhai?" Akash asks.

"I'll stay here just in case,"

Unseen by anyone else, Nani and Anjali exchange secretive smiles at their Chote's statement.

"Jaisi Nandakisore ki ichcha," (Whatever God wishes) Buaji raises her hands in the air slightly in prayer.

"Theek hai beta, apna khayal rakhna," (Okay son, take care of yourself) Garima replies, to which Arnav nods assuringly.

Arnav then turns to Akash.

"Akash, I-"

"Don't worry Bhai, I'll handle everything at work," He answers, sensing what his brother would ask beforehand.

"Thanks. Also, take care of Payal. This must be hard for her," Arnav says, looking over to see Payal's tear streaked cheeks.

Akash lets out a deep sigh, pained to see his fiance so troubled, "I will."

"Akash ji, why don't I stay here with Arnav ji?" Payal suddenly asks, reluctant to leave.

"You need to sleep Payal ji," Akash says, trying to persuade her. Sensing Payal's hesitation, Arnav steps in.

"You care about Khushi right?"

Payal nods instinctively, wondering what kind of question that is.

"Then you need to get some rest, in order to take care of your sister just like you wish to. You need to take care of yourself first,"

Payal gives a soft smile through her tears, making sense of her brother in law's wise words. Akash nods in agreement, admiring Arnav for the way he always seems to handle situations with such ease.

The families start to disperse together after saying their goodbyes to Arnav and to NK, who was still lying on a patient's bed with a cast around his leg. After talking with him for a while, Arnav leaves NK's room to let him sleep. The vast halls of this wing in the hospital fall quiet with the passing minutes, apart from the occasional nurses or doctors going from room to room to check up on different patients.

It has now been well over two hours since the families had left. Arnav sits still on the visitors bench, his eyelids heavy yet evaded from sleep. A part of him wishes for Khushi to get ample rest but the other wants her to wake up already so he can hold her, so he can yell at her for not being more careful on the road, so he can tell her just how much this has scared him.

Arnav Singh Raizada, the ruthless business tycoon who did not fear a single thing on the planet, has now been reduced to a prisoner to his own fragile heart. The prospect of loss has hit him hard in his past, returning to haunt him in the present with the knowledge of this accident. Never had he imagined that the fear of loss would gravitate towards the one girl who has never failed to question his character, to challenge his motives, to judge the entire basis of his life.

Never had he imagined that he, would one day fear losing that same girl.

As if in a trance, his feet lead him towards the room she lay inside, blissfully unaware of it all. An inexplicable pain surges through him at the sight of her on the hospital bed, surrounded by medical machines, the side of her head covered with bandage. Her body is covered with a monochrome, light blue blanket. It is eerily quiet, he realizes, as he remembers that he has never been in a room with her not blabbering about. And now, when he yearns to hear her voice, she stays silent. The depth of it all takes him aback, as he pulls a chair towards her bed, sitting.

Why did she make him feel this way, damn it? Why?

Arnav's gaze falls on her when all of a sudden, her hand twitches. His senses become alarmed when she starts moving her head from side to side, as if experiencing a nightmare. Whimpers leave her cold lips and he finds himself moving as close as possible to her, his hand going to her hair in soft strokes.

"Shhh..."

Khushi responds to his gentle croons, relaxing under his touch. Her body sinks back, falling unconscious instantly once again.

---

Pain. Pounding pain was the first sensation she had felt when her consciousness returned slowly but surely. When she tried to move she felt entrapped and helpless, tied down. Opening her eyes she hisses at the soft morning light that seem to pierce her vision with its brightness.

Hey Devi Maiyya...

With a call to her strength she adjusts to her vision, realizing that she is laying on a hospital bed. Before any recollections can come to her, she feels a certain warmth in her right hand. When she lowers her gaze to see, the sight leaves her stirred.

Her Arnav ji's sleeping face lay resting on the side of her bed while his hand is entwined with hers.

---

A/N: Dear silent readers, it would mean the world to me if you left your thoughts for me to read. For a writer, that is the biggest gift. Thank you to those who do <3

- Rain