Chapter 5: Head-rush

Say it Arnav ji...

"I lo- I love pizza," Shit.

"Heh? Pizza?" Khushi frowns, irritated and confused.

Arnav has always known his own love for Italian food, but this was definitely not the moment to declare that.

"No, no. I meant... I l-"

"Maybe you're trying to say Laad Governor? Because that's exactly who you are," She teases, scrunching her nose.

He squints his eyes at her remark, when his phone begins to ring.

"You should pick up. Aman ji ka phone hoga," (It must be Aman ji) Khushi says, her tone filled with sass.

Arnav clenches his jaw in annoyance and picks up. With one last look at her sinfully beautiful face, he walks out.

"Hello, Aman..."

"Hey boss. Bad news,"

"Bad news?" Arnav's eyebrows form a line of concern.

"We need you to drop by the office for the next few days," His assistant says meekly, knowing very well the response he is about to receive.

"Why damn it? I told you I won't be able to go for at least the next two weeks!" He whispers angrily, trying to control his rising temper at the thought of not being able to see Khushi every day, especially at a time like this.

Aman audibly gulps. "Akash Sir has been coming regularly but due to this important deal we need your presence around the client to secure the contract,"

Arnav sighs in frustration, understanding the reasonable request. Making deals and putting work first have always been his primary goals. Now, however, the biggest deal of his life lays on a hospital bed. He wishes to abandon all duties and stay with her, by her side... but he knows that has to wait.

"I'll be there tomorrow. Keep the files ready."

With a beep he cuts the call, looking towards her, finding her to be gazing at him already. She looks away then, visibly flustered at him catching her blatantly staring at him this way as he hides his amused smirk.

She folds her arms in a rejective action when he slowly walks inside the room, slightly awkward from their previous conversation which led to the utterly ridiculous confession of his love for pizza.

"I, uh..."

"Have you come here to elaborate on your love for pasta now?"

He looks up at her, slightly shocked at the sharp sarcasm. Yet somehow, he loves this sassiness directed at him rather than being annoyed.

Arnav smiles guiltily.

Khushi's heart jumps. Did he just smile?

"No. Actually, I... I have to leave for work so I won't be around for some time, I don't know how long,"

The fire in hazel dims out into void. She refrains from speaking her thoughts out loud, from voicing her desperate plea to beg him to stay.

So she stays silent, hoping he takes his words back.

"I just came in to say that," Arnav starts to walk away when she hears him say her name in that butter meltingly soft tone. "Khushi?"

"Hmm?"

"Take care, okay?"

She nods like a lost child, watching him give her a last look before disappearing around the corner of the doorway.

---

Five days. It has been exactly five days since he has seen her beautiful face, heard her angelic voice or looked into those sparkling eyes. He buttons up his waistcoat in a hurry, expressionlessly ecstatic about finally being able to visit the hospital after securing the contract at work.