Chapter 7: High Spirits

It has been nearly two weeks since he had last seen Khushi. It had taken a solid week of physical therapy, medication and Dr. Patel's approval for her to go back home and leave the pale four walls of that hospital room... The same room he had seen her laying unconscious on the night of the incident, still and silent, so unlike her. It had crushed him more than he was ever willing to admit, more than he could have imagined possible. And then another memory, the memory of seeing her for the last time in that room, smiling as she said her goodbyes to Mrs. D'Souza, the kind nurse who had taken on the role of a second mother to Khushi over the course of her recovery. She has still not recovered completely, but he remembers how immensely relieved and happy he had felt when he saw her smile that day, not just from her lips, but from her eyes. Khushi Kumari Gupta has a strong spirit after all, he thinks, a fact he has known since the very day he had met her, but never admitted... until these past few weeks.

"Chote? Where are you lost?" Anjali's voice breaks his reverie and he faintly smiles at her before finally taking a bite out of the toasted bread, his breakfast for the day.

"You have really started eating less and less," His sister complains, expressing her annoyance, "It's not good for you. At least eat a big breakfast before you leave-"

"I told you Di, I can't afford the time. There's a lot that needs to be done at the office, especially since I missed so many days. Now's the time to take care of pending work," He simply stated, sympathizing with his Di's sentiments.

Anjali nods in understanding, knowing his absences from work were not in vain. On the days he did not go to work, Arnav went back and forth from home to the hospital, taking care of NK and Khushi's needs, staying with them, offering support emotionally and financially. One time Khushi's family had come to visit her at the hospital when he was with her, and he had asked them how they got here. When they replied by an autorikshaw, Arnav immediately assured them they won't have to travel by public transportation anymore, saying he will bring them to the hospital and drop them back home as needed. "What am I here for?" He had said, to which Bua ji had replied, "May you live long, Babua."

"Chote? Have you eaten?"

Arnav turns around to find his Nani walking towards the dining table, a sad smile on her face.

"Ji Nani, I was just about to leave," He replies, realizing this is the first time in days he is conversing with his grandmother. For the past week he would leave for work before she arrived downstairs, and return home long after she had retired for the night.

She strokes her grandson's head lovingly, sitting next to him. Her eyes are distant and somewhat downhearted. Knowing what she is thinking, Arnav says exactly what she needs to hear.

"Nani, please don't worry. NK is doing well now, he's even walking up and down the stairs slowly. As for Khushi, Dr. Patel assured a speedy recovery. Everything will be fine," He states, maintaining a neutral demeanor. To the ones who really know him, however, the care in his gaze and softness in his tone are giveaways to his inner feelings pushing through the effortfully built, impassive exterior.

"By God's grace, I hope so,"

Anjali walks to Nani's side, resting a hand upon her shoulder. "Nani, I was thinking, why don't we visit Khushi and the Gupta family tomorrow? NK bhai and Akash could come along as well,"

Arnav nods. NK hasn't been out of the house ever since he was discharged from the hospital, so this will be refreshing for him. And as for Akash, he would definitely want to stay by his fiancé's, soon to be his own family's side.

Nani's eyes light up joyfully. "Yes, yes, this is much needed. I've been wanting to visit Khushi bitiya to see how she's doing,"

Anjali spares a look at her brother, secretively smiling from the corner of her lips. "Chote, you wouldn't by any chance have the time to come along with us, would you?"