A Home in Which You Cannot Return ∼ 11

As it turned out, Kiri was a natural in the water. They had lost her multiple times that morning but always found her just as quickly, swimming about and looking at everything in awe. After they had lost her for the fourth time, Tcelia made an executive decision to just leave Kiri be for a while – Kiri would meet up with the rest of them when she felt like it.

Tsireya had suggested that they should swim out to the pools of water that enclosed the reef, so that's where they were heading now. Ao'nung had earlier on come up to her side, explaining how to move through the water in a more efficient way. Tsireya had instructed Lo'ak and Neteyam, and Rotxo had taught Tuk. The young Na'vi girl had seemed to take an instant liking to Rotxo, and Tcelia felt thankful towards Rotxo who didn't seem to mind Tuk's affection at all.

"If you flatten out your body, and glide through the water," Ao'nung demonstrated by swimming around her, not once breaking eye contact with her, "like so, you will move through the water much quicker."

Tcelia had watched as Ao'nung swam in circles around her. She rolled her eyes at him and dove under the water in an attempt at imitating what Ao'nung had shown her. Suddenly a pair of strong arms had wrapped around her torso, bringing her up above the surface again. Annoyance went through Tcelia like a lightning bolt.

"Don't force your way ahead," Ao'nung had explained as soon as her ears had broken the surface, still holding onto her, "You have to glide through the water," he smiled slyly down at her, tracing a hand along the side of her waist.

"Right," Tcelia smiled sweetly at him, "You are just so smart, Ao'nung," she broke free from his grip and swam away, kicking him in the stomach as she did. Ao'nung grunted as all the air left his lungs, bending over.

"Oops," Tcelia feigned an apologetic look, "I'm such a klutz."

It took longer to swim to the pools than Tcelia had thought it would, but she felt like she was getting the hang of it and could now sort of keep up with the Metkayina children by – and she hated admitting this because Ao'nung had been such a jackass – gliding through the water just as Ao'nung had taught her.

The other kids were keeping up as well and Tcelia couldn't help the proudness that welled up in her chest. They were doing it, adapting, just like Jake had wanted.

As they swam, Ao'nung often shot her wary looks. When she caught him looking at her, she smiled sweetly back at him and he quickly looked away, probably not wanting to get kicked again.

When they finally reached the pools, they clambered over the edge and dropped down into the small circle of water. The water here was noticeably warmer and Tcelia's whole body relaxed. She was squeezed in between Lo'ak and Neteyam who had each placed themselves on either side of her.

Tcelia let out a long breath, "I could stay here forever," she closed her eyes and leaned her head back so that it was resting on the roots that formed the circle.

Rotxo and Tsireya chuckled, "Yes, it is very nice here," Tsireya said.

Tcelia opened one of her eyes, looking up at Neteyam who was helping Tuk into the pool. His back looked very strong from this angle, and she wondered what it would be like to slide her hand over the smooth skin---

She sat up abruptly, causing Lo'ak to look at her with a bewildered look. She coughed, clearing her mind, "So, what's next on the agenda?" She looked at Tsireya, praying to Eywa that no one would notice the slight blush of color she had gotten across her cheeks.

Tuk had barely gotten two feet into the pool before exclaiming, "Show us how to speak under the water please!"

Tsireya chuckled at the eagerness in Tuk's voice and began explaining the water language. Neteyam bend his head down so that his lips were right by Tcelia's ear, "Why do you look so flustered?"