Broken Glass ∼ 44

Tcelia's head was throbbing from all the laughing she had done, and the wound in her chest had started to feel a little strange as if the numbing herbs weren't working quite the way they were supposed to anymore. Still, she couldn't get herself to turn in for the night. She spun around once again as Ao'nung twirled her, colliding with his chest because she wasn't very graceful at all right now – her legs and feet were sore from dancing and her mind felt slightly muddled from the long day.

Still, she savored the way her wrists didn't hurt at all as she pushed away from him, grinning up at him. She could feel her heart beating steadily, if not a bit fast due to the dancing and the steady rhythm of the drums that sounded through the night. She watched as Ao'nung's mouth twisted into a smirk, then formed the word "klutz" as he laughed at her. Her grin turned even wider as she smacked him on the arm and then they were both whisked apart, Tcelia suddenly holding hands with Tuk and Rotxo, forming a circle with her friends.

The night was alive with color and laughter. All Na'vi had long ago abandoned all the traditional dances and the beach was now a mess of uncoordinated movements and flashes of colors due to their painted bodies. Though the traditional dances had been discarded, the Na'vi still sang in perfect unison with each other and the beat of the drums, creating a hectic yet exciting tune, fit for a celebration. Tcelia had to give it to the Metkayina – they knew how to party. Similar to the celebrations back in the forest, the Metkayina laughed and drank and danced, celebrating life and the return of their spirit brothers and sisters.

Multiple smaller bonfires had been built in a huge circle on the beach, surrounding one very large bonfire. Older Na'vi who had grown tired of dancing, sat by some of the smaller bonfires, recounting ancient stories to small children who sat with huge eyes, listening raptly, gasping and cheering as the older Na'vi told their stories, big gestures galore.

Tcelia doubted that there was anyone left in the village, even at this late hour. Younger Na'vi were running around, weaving through the many dancing bodies across the beach, or playing in the water close to the shore, laughing with glee. Some kids, a year or two younger than Tcelia, had started a game earlier on that involved trying to catch small, luminescent creatures that emerged from the sea at nightfall. They called them "sea sparks" and believed that capturing one brought good luck. The game had brought in Na'vi of all ages that were now competing to see who could capture the most. Rotxo and Ao'nung had explained the game to her earlier on and apparently Rotxo was the reigning champion, having caught fifty-nine sea sparks last celebration. He had smiled bashfully as Ao'nung had clapped him on the back, but it was obvious that he was proud of his title by the way his eyes had gleamed. Even Norm and Max were there, getting roped into a drinking game with some of the young warriors who were standing closer to the drums.

As Tcelia was pulled around in the circle, she leaned closer to Rotxo so that he could hear her over the loud noises, "Should we join them?" she grinned playfully, her eyes flickering over to where Norm now had given in and taken a drink, the young warriors cheering him on as he downed it. Beside him, Max was cheering him on as well, looking as if he was having the time of his life.

Rotxo laughed, shaking his head vigorously, "Toruk Makto would have my head if I let you drink in your condition and you know it."

Tcelia rolled her eyes, her face split in a wide grin knowing he was right. Tcelia and the others had earlier on gone to get a drink, though somehow, Jake had appeared out of nowhere, smirking at her as he said, "Nice try, champ," and stolen the drink from out of her hand. Tcelia had half-heartedly protested as he had disappeared off with her drink but actually hadn't minded it in the slightest – her head already pounded; it would be stupid to add liquor to the equation. Kiri and Tsireya had put down their drinks in solidarity, but Lo'ak, Ao'nung and Spider had only laughed and thrown back their drinks, teasing Tcelia about Jake having called her 'champ'. Rotxo had smiled at Tcelia apologetically as he had joined Ao'nung and Lo'ak for another drink. Tcelia had pretended to care, thanking Kiri and Tsireya loudly for being so sweet whilst glaring pointedly at the boys, but in truth, she hadn't minded it at all, loving every minute of their group having fun.