Epilogue

"Are you sure about this, Teyam?"

"I've never been more sure about anything in my life, Tcelia."

Tcelia bit her lip, her worry still evident. "But if we do this, there's no going back. We'll have to live with this decision for the rest of our lives."

Neteyam's mouth tugged into a smirk as he crossed his arms, "Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic over a game of hide and seek?"

Tcelia's determination flared, her eyes narrowing. "There's just no way I'm going to let Lo'ak win again. He found me way too quick the last time, there's no way I'm letting him find me again."

They were on the fourth round of a massive hide and seek game. Tuk had gotten everyone involved when the group had found themselves with nothing to do after having completed their tasks for the day. At first, the teenagers had been reluctant but when Neteyam and Tcelia had seen how much it had meant to the little girl, they'd convinced the others to join in. It hadn't been long before everyone had gotten really into the game – perhaps a little more than necessary – and had started to search for the best hiding spots.

In the first round, Tcelia had scurried up a thick tree, her heart pounding with a mix of excitement and anticipation. She had peered through the branches, watching as the other players had scattered, disappearing into the surrounding area. Lo'ak had been the first to search and he had found her just after he had found Tsireya, which meant that she had been the second one who had been found. She had taken that personally and made it her mission to win the next round. It had been Tsireya who counted for the next round and then Rotxo, but Tcelia was determined to get back at Lo'ak. He simply couldn't find her so easily again or he'd never stop making fun of her. She'd already had to endure taunts and remarks about being horrible at the game during the entirety of the first round as she had followed him around as he searched for the others. After twenty minutes, she'd had enough and stuck her leg out, which he tripped over just after he'd found Ao'nung. Lo'ak had shot up, sending her a death glare as Ao'nung had burst out laughing and Tsireya had covered her mouth with her hand so that no one could see her amusement, but Tcelia had only smiled innocently back at him.

Now, she had bumped into Neteyam whilst they had tried to find a place to hide, and she was debating if her chances were better off alone. Though she did want to win and wipe that smug expression of off Lo'ak's face, being pressed up against Neteyam in a small space seemed very enticing as well.

Neteyam sighed, uncrossing his arms, "Listen, the hole is big enough for the two of us, and no one's ever used it as a hiding place before. There's no way he'll find us here."

She chewed on her lip, trying to imagine what number Lo'ak had counted to by now. It was probably at least seventy, and she probably wouldn't find a better hiding spot in time. "Fine, but I'm crawling in first so that he'll see you before he sees me."

Neteyam chuckled, playfully gesturing for her to proceed, "Be my guest, tìyawn."

She pushed the butterflies that appeared in her stomach away at the sound of him calling her tìyawn – he did it often these days, but she still hadn't gotten quite used to it yet – and got on her knees as she parted the lush foliage curtain of hanging vines that covered the small hole at the foot of the large tree they'd been standing by. The earthy scent of damp soil and the faint rustle of leaves greeted her senses, urging her onward and she quickly positioned herself at the mouth of the small hole.

She looked back at Neteyam, finding him already looking at her, and flashed him a quick, self-assured smile before she moved forwards and into the small hole as her eyes adjusted to the dim light that filtered through the foliage. The ground beneath her was cool and slightly damp, and she quickly settled down, squeezing up against the soft wall of soil and roots to make room for Neteyam.