The Butterfly Effect ∼ 32

"Neteyam?"

She approached the kneeling boy slowly. He was facing away from the opening of the pod, his back to her, looking down at something he was holding. She moved to stand behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder and leaning forward so she could see what he was holding.

He startled as if he had been in deep thought and looked up at her, clenching his fingers around the cummerbund in his hands.

"You did not have to follow me," he said as he shoved the belt away into a braided sack that held all his belongings.

"I know," she placed herself beside him, facing him as he sat with his side to her. She reached up to playfully tug the black pearl that now hung from his braid before leaning back on her hands. "But here I am," she smiled slyly.

"Not before Ao'nung got to talk to you though," he stated, a resigned tone to his voice. As she furrowed her eyebrows, silently questioning how he knew, he shrugged, "I heard him yelling your name as I left."

"Right." Tcelia sighed. She hadn't even herself realized that Ao'nung had called her name, she had been so keen on following Neteyam to see if he was alright. "He only wanted to show me something tomorrow," she shrugged, "Said it would cheer me up."

Now it was Neteyam's turn to furrow his brow, "That doesn't sound suspicious at all," he said dryly. "You guys have become pretty close lately, huh." Tcelia could hear that he was straining to sound indifferent, but it was pretty clear that Neteyam still didn't like Ao'nung at all.

"Yeah, well," she paused, contemplating her next words, "He can be nice when he wants to." She gently shoved his shoulder with a hand, "And anyway, becoming friends with the chief's son is kind of my specialty."

The corner of his mouth twitched upward as he fought a smile but then something in his eyes changed, as if realizing something, and he turned serious once again. "You know, maybe I should join you tomorrow." He feigned an apathetic shrug, "Just to make sure nothing bad happens."

Tcelia laughed, rolling her eyes, "What, do you not think I can handle myself?"

"That is not what I said," Neteyam splayed out his arms, "I only meant-"

Tcelia cut him off, "I am only kidding, Neteyam. Of course you can come." She looked out of the opening as voices approached the pod, "I'd actually prefer it if you did, Ao'nung can be pretty intolerable sometimes." She smiled as she watched Lo'ak, Kiri and Tuk approaching the opening.

Lo'ak entered first, "Bro, why did you leave so suddenly?" he accused as he placed himself down on Tcelia's side so that he too, was facing Neteyam. As Tcelia reached out a hand towards Tuk, she could see out of her peripheral vision that Neteyam rolled his eyes as he responded. Tuk happily bounded over to Tcelia, allowing her to wrap her arm around the little girl's shoulders. Kiri followed close by, seating herself by Neteyam.

If Tcelia ignored the sound of the waves crashing by the shore, she could almost imagine that they were back in the forest, chatting about their day before they had to sleep, like they had done countless times before.

---

"Why did you bring forest boy?" Ao'nung smirked, "Can't go longer than two hours without each other now, huh?" He was leaning up against a palm tree, arms crossed, close to where they had agreed to meet. The sun was rising steadily, hues of orange already starting to disappear, making way for the brightness of the sun.

Tcelia rolled her eyes as her and Neteyam approached the Metkayina boy, "Shut it, Ao'nung. I am here, that's what counts."

"Well, I am truly honored that the Omatikaya princess could spare taking out two hours of her day to spend time with my humble self." He mocked, raising an eyebrow, "Really, it is so big of you to-" Tcelia whacked him in the stomach to cut him off, although that just seemed to amuse him even more as his smirk grew into a grin. "Alright, damn." He rubbed the spot she had hit him, "Still not in a joking mood I see. Follow me then." Neteyam and Tcelia shared a look as they followed behind Ao'nung.