Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Warm and cozy with a woolen blanket around my shoulders and sitting next to a crackling fire, I began to grow drowsy. The mug of hot chocolate I held warmed my hands, and my snow-soaked dress had nearly dried.

The strange creature had taken me back to its home, which was a little cave in the rough face of a towering cliff. Snow had sat heaped on little ledges and crevices in the black rock, and at the bottom was a little round wooden door that had been set into the stone.

The creature had said there were others like it around, and this is where many of them made their homes. It gave me some hot cocoa and this blanket. And now I wanted some answers.

"Umm...Do you mind me asking where it is I am and why I'm here?" I asked hesitantly.

I had come to the conclusion that I had fallen asleep in the woods, and was having strange dreams, possibly caused by the intense cold. Or maybe I had frozen to death, and this was some sort of strange afterlife. Either one of these mad explanations were more believable than the alternative.

"I am not sure why you are here or how got here, but I can tell you that you are in Narnia," the strange goat man said.

He talked in an English accent, like me. Hmm.

"Narnia?" I asked.

"Yes, Narnia.  Everything from here in the Western Wood to the Eastern Ocean, from the Wild Lands of the North to the desert region of Calormen. Narnia." The creature said with pride.

I asked another question, trying to word it as politely as I could, "And, umm, what are you, exactly?"

The goat-man chuckled and said, "What am I? I am a faun of course! And what are you? You are too tall to be a dwarf. You look like you could be an Archenlander, but they haven't been able to set foot in Narnia for a hundred years!"

A dwarf? An Archenlander? What other strange things could be in this 'Narnia'?

"I'm a human! Have you never seen a human before?" I asked incredulously.

Abruptly, the faun's expression changed from friendly to some other emotion I couldn't read. His voice was filled with the same. " A...human?" He paused for a moment, and then went on. "A Daughter of Eve? Do you have any siblings? Another sister? Brothers? Did anyone come with you?" He sounded both worried and hopeful, which confused me.

I voiced my earlier theory about why I was here. "Umm, sir, am I...dreaming? Because, I don't mean to offend you, but fauns don't exist.  And neither does Narnia."

He frowned and said, "No, child you are not dreaming. Fauns are real, Narnia is real, and so are many other things. Both good and bad. Now, please answer my question. Are there any others with you?"