Episode 1, Part 16

Neca and I wait awkwardly by the door to the lift. Izel is transferring the green liquid from a glass vial to a tiny leather pouch with a waxed cork for a lid. My tzotzomatli and pants are still damp, but it feels good to be in my own skin.

My stomach is full, and I’m rested. It’s only a week past a new moon, so even if the clouds break, the night will be good and dark. After discovering the lack of windows in Immortal City, I understand Neca’s confidence in not being seen. As Izel seals the pouch shut, I regret not asking more about her role in the strange apartment building. I make a note to ask Neca about it later.

“Here you go, my dears.” She holds out the tiny pouch, wiping off a dribble of the green liquid with her finger. “Xoxoctic, the color of life.” She places it in my hand and covers it with my other. “Blood might be red, but life is green.” Without letting go of my hands, she continues, “Make sure you give the whole dose to Olin. Centavo will know what to do with the container.”

I nod. “I can’t thank you enough. I hope—” hesitating, I’m not sure how to say goodbye to someone to whom I’m so indebted, and yet just met, and will most likely never see again.

“Me, too. Me, too, dear.” She smiles, and all my tension dissolves. “I’m sure you’ll succeed. I see it in you. You’re one of the green ones.” She embraces me.

I’m not sure what she means, or what she sees, but I allow the contact to speak between us.

“Thanks, Izel.” Neca contributes a shoulder hug before the three of us separate.

It’s more physical contact than I’ve had in a month, and the only contact outside of my brother.

Izel winks at Neca, “I’ll see you at our scheduled time.”

For a split second, I swear Neca seems embarrassed. Having already slapped the button to the lift, the doors behind us slide open. All three of us ride down a level to the main lobby. No one is there when the doors open. Izel remains on the lift. She smiles one last time before Neca and I steal into the night.

The whole way to the perimeter garden, I wrestle with why so many people are helping Olin and me. I still don’t trust Centavo, but Neca and Izel seem genuinely concerned. How can I pay them back when in four days I’ll be leaving? In the market, everything is a trade. Nothing happens for free. Even a gift incurs a subtle debt, and I don’t like being in debt.

We stop shy of the shield wall. The city is sparsely lit with an occasional electric light. No special attention has been given to the perimeter. The immortals don’t seem concerned or aware that scruffy chadzitzin are able to come and go at their leisure. The fact Neca is able to makes me wonder how well the shield wall actually secures New Teo from would-be attackers.

“You ready?” Neca whispers.

I stare through the copper-nickel mesh, the dark night revealing nothing except the shape of a few trees. “Yeah.”

We stride hand in hand to the wall. He grips me tightly. “Try to relax, and it won’t take so much out of you.”

I nod. Unable to see the expression on his face, I can see his eyes. They’re crinkled at the corners. With that one piece of information, I assemble the rest of his smile and squeeze my eyes tight. As the heat ripples through me, I try to relax. It’s impossible to distinguish where Neca ends and where I begin, or even the shield wall itself.

Short of total shock, I find myself able to enjoy the sensation. Then, before I can see or feel the outside world, I hear the nocturnal sounds of the forest. Much nearer, I hear Neca’s breath rushing past my ear. Seconds later, a tingling sensation returns to my extremities.

Teetering slightly, I let go of Neca and breathe deeply. Although I know it’s in my mind, the air outside the shield wall has always tasted sweeter. Tonight, more so than ever. Plus, from here on out, the plan lies in my hands. “I think I could get used to that.”

“Oh? You thinking of adding smuggling to your academy resume?”

“Funny, but don’t be axnohtic. I meant the telekinesis.” At least I hope that’s all I meant.

“Yeah, women always use me for my abilities.”

I jog down the slope, away from the shield wall encasing the immortal half of New Teo. “Okay, yeah. Not going there. Let’s just get this medicine to my brother before it’s too late. We’ll have to hurry to return to Centavo’s by sunrise.”

“About that,” Neca tugs me to a stop, “I know an above-ground route that will save us at least an hour.”

“But—”

“I’ve traveled it in the dark dozens of times.”

It’s unreasonable, but I don’t want to follow anymore. I don’t want to leave my brother’s life in anyone else’s hands.

“Admit it, you almost got lost on the way here.”

“I did not.”

“Calli,” he puts his hands on my arms, “it’ll get us to your brother faster. I promise.”

I resent that he feels the right to touch me so intimately and freely, and talk to me as if we were the closest of friends. But he’s right. “Okay, let’s just get going.”