Episode 4, Part 3 & 4

Neca and I weave our way through the market without a word. More than once, I duck behind him to avoid conversations with loyal clientele about how they’ll never get along without me. Upon exiting the market, our silence grows awkward.

For the first time, Neca is the sullen one, and I suspect he’s on to my intentions. Wanting to extend his life rather than frustrate it, I make the first move. “Thanks for saving us at the warehouse.”

He grunts.

“I’m serious. It means more than I can say.”

He nods slightly, still refusing to look at me.

“I mean, at a time when Yetic turned tail, you risked your life for me and Olin. No audience, no cage.”

He finally looks up, his eyes watery.

I take his hand. “Whatever happens tonight, you showed true courage then.”

“Hey,” he winks, a weak smile on his lips, “it’s all in a day’s work for a chadzitzin psych-fighter.”

I shake my head. “You’ll always be much more than that.”

“I’m a pretty good smuggler too. Not to mention totally hot.”

“Don’t let it go to your head or anything.”

“Oh, I won’t.” He swings my hand in his. “I’m much too much of a realist for that.”

I choke.

“What?”

Recovering, I nod my head vigorously. “Oh, of course, I was just going to say that myself. Neca the realist. Too practical for your own good really. If only I could get you to loosen up.”

We both smile and breathe deeply. I close my eyes, enjoying a temporary splash of sunlight as it pours through a gap in the rolling cloud cover. Before we know it, we’ve reached the entrance to the underground.

Neca turns to face me, holding both of my hands. For a long moment we stand silently. So much has changed since the last time I stood here. Finally he breaks the silence. “I’ve already decided this will be my last fight.”

I open my mouth.

He shakes his head and holds a finger to my lips. “I’ve learned almost everything fighting can teach me. This is the perfect way to end this chapter of my life. I need you to understand why. I’ll admit my chances of winning aren’t good. Yetic’s at the top of his game, and Huatiani took more from me than I’ve been able to discover.”

I feel a hot pinch lurking under the surface of my cheeks and at the corners of my eyes. I struggle to hold a steady gaze.

“Losing is the only thing I have left,” he chews the inside of his lip and looks skyward, “to learn.”

“Not like this,” I blurt out.

He drops my hands. “It’s not your choice to make.”

“But you’re making the wrong one!” I stamp my foot.

He rubs his temples. “It’s one thing to stand down certain defeat spontaneously, when there’s little other choice. I’m glad I stood against Huatiani. I hope I’d do it again. But it’s something else to face defeat willingly, with eyes wide open. I want to know I have the ability to make the right choice in either instance.”

“For what? A verbal agreement Yetic doesn’t have the grace to relinquish?”

He looks me in the eyes. “Your choice is to either accept my decision and accompany me for some dehumanizing procedures you’ll wish you’d never been exposed to, or to say goodbye, Calli Bluehair. These last few days have been interesting, to say the least.” He extends his hand as if to formally grip forearms.

The thought of never seeing Neca again sends shivers throughout my body. “Okay, you win.” I nod my assent. “I won’t bring up the fight.”

“Good,” he offers his hand.

I take it. “That doesn’t mean I’m going to watch.”

“Fair enough.”

Due to so many people taking off work, the underground is busy despite the late hour of the morning. Neca leads me through the crowd until we reach a stairway heading further down.

“The underground has an underground?”

“Sorta. Most of the official business takes place down here. Things are going to be different now that Huemac is running the place.”

“Huemac?”

“He’s been keeping Centavo’s books. You know, taking care of all the seamy details of maintaining a complex criminal organization. With Centavo gone, he’s the natural successor.”

“Hmm, I guess I hadn’t thought of who would take over.” We reach the bottom of the stairs.

Neca leads the way along a lengthy corridor. “Honestly, I don’t think he and Centavo liked each other for a collective minute.”

“How does that work?”

“I think they sorta just fell into an arrangement.”

“That makes no sense.”

Neca shrugs. “Together they consolidated the underground and put a stop to the infighting. I think it was another reason Huatiani looked the other way.”

Briefly, I wonder how much more Neca knows about the relationship between Centavo and the deceased Huatiani. “How are things going to be different now?”

Neca leans close as we pass an open door. “Let’s just say Huemac puts the criminal in criminal organization.”

“Understood.”

“He’s another reason I’m done after tonight. I can’t stomach the thought of my proceeds going to the likes of him.”

“The likes of who?” A familiar voice causes me to flinch.

“Yetic, fancy seeing you here.” I face the turncoat and instantly wish I hadn’t. He’s essentially naked, wearing nothing but a cloth wrapped around his loins.

“Where else would I be on a fight day?” He shrugs.

My hibernating rage bubbles up. “Oh, I don’t know. I thought you might have reached the borders of Tlatlaca by the way you were running when I saw you last.”

“You little—”

Neca intervenes, pushing us apart. “We both know opponents are supposed to avoid unmonitored interaction the day of a match.”

Yetic points at me. “I put my ass on the line to fulfill my end of the deal.”

I open my mouth.

Neca puts a hand over it. “I’m here to fulfill my end. Xoxoctic?”

Yetic takes a moment to stare us down before he nods. “Yeah, xoxoctic.” He passes us in a full on strut. “See you in the cage, Nightmare.” Without waiting for a response, Yetic pushes through a swinging door. The sounds of inane male banter and clattering weights, along with a suffocating wall of sweat-drenched air, waft past him as he disappears.

“It’s not too late to change your mind,” Neca smiles mischievously. “I could meet you upstairs in an hour.”

I cross my arms and stare at him.

He looks me up and down. “There are a few female fighters, but…”

“But what?”

“Let’s just say they don’t look like you.”

“Is that supposed to be a complement?”

“It’s the most polite one you’re gonna get beyond that door.”

I wave him forward, “I think I can handle it.” On the inside, I’m not so sure.