Episode 5, Part 10

The buzzer sounds. I tense for a long few seconds. Finally, the announcer’s voice belts across the court. “Well done, each and every one of you. That concludes the placement portion of your testing. In five minutes your braid bands will illumine with one of the five corresponding barrack colors. At that time please make your way through the appropriately lit exit where you will be ushered to your new barracks. Masa Academy welcomes you all!”

I relax, an arm still around Zorrah. Tilting my head back, I let the rain run off the top of my head and gently slap my face.

Olin rolls his disabled probes to the side and embraces the two of us. “Masa may not be my dream,” he waits for me to look him in the eyes, “but there’s no place I’d rather be right now than with you guys.”

I’m grateful the rain conceals the tears I let slip. We’re alive, we’re together and we’re family—if only we can stay that way. I gulp down my final fear in an optimistic effort to envision our braid bands glowing in solidarity. I don’t even care which color, as long as they’re all the same.

Olin makes a tickling jab at Zorrah’s side. She breaks away from the hug, screaming and dodging his repeated attempts.

In their absence I focus on Neca and Yetic. Like two jaguars stalking the same prey, they watch each other out of the corner of their eyes, daring and warning at the same time. I sigh. No moment of happiness in my life ever comes without cost.

A separate movement catches my attention, and I realize I’ve nearly forgotten Cera. I decide to let the boys wait. “Cera.” kicking probes out of the way, I clear a path.

She smiles at me while using one of the orbs as a seat.

I do the same and sit beside her. “What ever the braid bands say, you’ve made at least three friends here today.”

She nods. “Thank you kindly, and right back at you.” She squeezes the end of her braid, wringing the rain out of it. “I know the odds aren’t good, but I rather hope we get placed together. I wish now I would have made an effort to get to know you and your brother in the market.”

I shake my head. “I doubt I would have responded well. I tend to take everything too seriously.”

“Yeah, well, not that it’s any consolation, but sometimes life asks for a whole lot of serious. It’s not a bad trait to have. It can be a cheche to develop.”

I smile and we lock eyes. Despite having just met, and my wretched ability to make friends, I feel Cera and I understand each other. “Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For introducing yourself.”

“Hey, no problem. Thanks for taking me in.” She points toward Neca and Yetic with her chin. “I suppose you better take care of the bristly pair before they eat each other.”

I sigh and attempt to gather enough nerve to stand.

Cera places a hand on my shoulder and leans close. “I hope I’m not out of place by asking this.”

I know what she’s thinking. I don’t want her to ask, but I don’t blame her either. I would do the same thing in her place. “Go ahead.”

“Which one are you with?”

I’ve no idea what the future will bring, or if any of us will end up in the same barracks. There’s no reason for me to complicate the matter by giving coy answers to the only girl I’ve met who I could actually befriend. And there is no reason for me to ignore the cold, hard facts.

I take a long look at the two of them. Neca is pretending to stare at nothing in particular. Yetic is unabashedly staring directly at me. “I’m with Yetic. We made a deal to couple.”