Episode 3, Part 9

Zorrah’s stuff amounted to a spare change of clothes and a notebook. With her between me and Centavo, the three of us walk the dozen blocks to the abandoned apartment building next to the Shadows. The night is featureless, like thousands of others I’ve seen through the mesh of New Teo’s shield dome.

An invisible blanket of clouds hovers between me and the heavens, blocking out the stars. I’m grateful to replace the conditioned air of the government building with the dead-calm humidity.

Without thinking, I run my hand across the back of my head. For the first time, the absence of my braid is something less than shocking. It’s no less tragic, no less painful. It just is. One moment it had been there, the next it hadn’t. Just like the guard. But when he left, where did he go? Where did I send him? If there is a signal, there’s a source. If there’s a source, their is a destination. Right?

Where is the place I am fighting so hard not to go? So hard I’m willing to send others there ahead of me?

The closer we get to the Shadows, the fewer lights are lit. The last block is nearly pitch black. I gaze upward where the wall meets the dome, and I shiver. If any of the gods are real, I pray life isn’t a series of smaller and more terrifying prisons—one inside the other.

Lost in thought, I bump into Zorrah, causing her to drop her notebook. As it hits the pavement, loose pages scatter. “I’m sorry, Zorrah.” I slump to my knees, searching for the stray sheets.

“No, it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have stopped.”

I find a page and hold it up. Even in the dark, I can tell it’s a fight poster. Most of the girls in Worker City collect their favorites.

“It’s just that,” Zorrah finds a sheet and tucks it away, “I’ve never been this close.”

“You mean, to the Shadows?”

“Yes.” After a short breath she continues, “What do you think it’s like?”

“Funny story, that.” I pick up the last piece of paper.

“How so?”

“I’ll tell you tomorrow.” I hand her the pages. “Which fighter do you fancy?”

“What?”

“Who’s on the poster?” I help her up.

“Oh, I just found that one today. With the fight still two days away, I know I shouldn’t have taken it down, but I couldn’t help it.” Instantly she forgets all about the Shadows.

We start walking again. I see Centavo standing in the doorway of the abandoned building where we left Olin. “Well, are you going to tell me who it is?”

“What? You mean you haven’t heard?”

“I’m afraid I was asleep most of the day.”

Her voice weakens, “Oh, yes, of course. I’m sorry, I didn’t—”

“Please, it’s nothing. But now you’ve got me dying to know.” We’ve nearly reached the doorway where Centavo waits.

“It’s the big fight, the one everybody’s been waiting for.”

My first thought can’t be right. “Wait, you mean—”

“I sure hope Nightmare Neca cleans the cage with that Yetic guy.”

I freeze in my tracks.

Zorrah grips my forearm. “Oh no, you think we’ll be able to go, don’t you?”

Centavo steps forward. “Zorrah, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait here for our return. We shouldn’t be gone long.”

“But I can’t—”

“You’ll find Calli’s brother, Olin, inside. I’m sure he’ll keep your company.” The old man takes her hand.

I back away, still flustered over the news of Neca fighting Yetic.

Centavo continues, “That’s not the worst of it.”

“What do you mean?” Zorrah squeaks.

“I’m sure we’ll meet again, but not for a long time. I’ve fulfilled my promise. I’m leaving you in good hands.” He hugs her.

“This is goodbye?”

“You’ve got the academy now. You won’t have time to think of a foolish old man.” Setting her down, Centavo backs away. “Don’t worry, I’ll be waiting on the other side. I promise.”

What must sound comforting to Zorrah only sounds like a threat to me.

“Now go on, I’ve got to see to Calli Bluehair’s braid.”

Obediently, Zorrah shuffles through the doorway without looking back. Moments later she calls softly for Olin.

I decide to tell Centavo he’ll have to wait for me to check on my brother. By the time I turn around, the old man is gone. I’m about to curse him and myself for ever believing he would help me, when I spot him moving swiftly toward the entrance to the Shadows.

“Let’s make this fast,” he calls over his shoulder. “We don’t have much time before Nahua suspects foul play in the disappearance of Huatiani. When he does, he’ll never believe the killer wasn’t me.”

“Why can’t we do it inside with the others?” I jog to catch up.

“Oh, I can’t grow your braid back, Calli Bluehair. Not unless I grow it on my own head.”

“I knew it, you shriveled sack of—”

He wags a finger. “There’s only one person for this job, and apparently you met her this morning.”