Episode 4, Part 11

The underground arena is crammed beyond capacity and sweltering. Most of the onlookers have been here for hours, watching novice matches and waiting for the bout of the decade—the bout I’m about to hijack. Currently there’s no fight. A flurry of activity near the center indicates betting for the big show has begun.

Olin had described to me earlier where he and Zorrah would be standing. Still, it takes me a minute to locate them. Despite my nerves, I smile when I see Zorrah perched atop Olin’s shoulders.

I scan the vicinity for Huemac’s men, spotting three at safe distances. Yetic had explained how to distinguish them by their headset communication devices. Breathing deep, I push through the crowd. I’m making the right decision for all of us. They may not see it now, but isn’t this what Centavo had meant when he said some of us have to be monsters?

The arena is nothing more than a cavernous underground space. Packed dirt floors slope downward toward the center where a single cage, yet to be charged, floats midway between the floor and ceiling. I gulp as I think about how I’m supposed to get from here to there.

The sides of the cage flicker to life with projected images of Neca and Yetic. A recorded voice booms over the din of noise, narrating the mostly-fabricated life stories of the two fated fighters. There isn’t much time now.

“Why are you dressed like that?” Olin eyes my sparring outfit suspiciously.

I shrug and shout over the noise, “Neca was showing me some moves, or trying anyway. It was nice of him to want to.” My preprepared story seems to satisfy him.

“Isn’t this exciting!” Zorrah yells from her perch on Olin’s shoulders.

I smile and nod. Looking past her, I spot a burly man with a headset moving in our direction. I swear. They must have known to watch for anyone talking to Olin. I wave Zorrah down from Olin’s shoulders. Here goes nothing.

Huddling the three of us, I communicate as quickly as possible without conveying panic. “Zorrah, remember what we talked about this morning?”

It takes her a second, but she nods. “About Neca?”

“I was at his physical. The officials are covering up the fact that fighting tonight could kill him.”

They stare at me wide-eyed.

“I’m not going to let that happen.”

“Why doesn’t Neca refuse?” Olin grips my arm.

“I don’t know,” I lie. “Maybe he feels pressure. Look, I don’t have much time. Centavo’s replacement has threatened to kill me in order to conceal his duplicity.” I nod in the direction of the nearest goon. “His men are wearing these.” I hand an identical headset to Zorrah. “You think you can do something with this to slow them down?”

Zorrah whips the device on her head and listens in before nodding. “Sure, but what—”

“Just keep them off me however you can.”

Olin shakes his head and grips my arm tighter.

I bull forward. “Stick to the plan. Bring my uniform to the academy in the morning. I’ll have to lay low tonight.” I yank Olin’s hand free. “I’ll be there in the morning with Yetic, I promise.”

“Yetic?”

“I’ll explain everything tomorrow. Trust me!” Turning away, I thrust into the crowd and push downhill toward the center of the arena. Luckily, Huemac’s men have been instructed to block my escape. As a result, they’re intentionally forcing me closer to my actual target—the cage.