Episode 3, Part 10

The shock is brief. “The queen.”

“If that is what you insist on calling her.” Centavo stops beneath the arched entrance. “Her name is Citlali, although you would be wise not to address her as such in person.”

I stop a meter shy of the wall. “Why not use the underground entrance? I mean, isn’t that what it’s for?”

“She controls its usage. That is the arrangement. Only scheduled visits enter that way, and ours is not scheduled.”

“Even when it comes to you?”

“Especially when it comes to me.”

I attempt to slow my breathing. “But through there?” I try to block out the images from earlier. “Twice in the same day?”

He places a hand on the lever, beckoning me with the other. “I can assure you, this time will be different. Unlike Yetic, we are not here to play. No one inside will be harmed.”

Reluctantly I relent. Despite the horror I know to be inside the Shadows, I’m curious to meet the queen again—Citlali, star. I can’t think of a stranger place to find a star, and the name is one I wished my parents had given me instead of Calli, the common term for house or home. Citlali has such a pleasant ring compared to Calli.

Besides, I remember how reticent Yetic had been about the connection between the old man and the queen. She had gone nuts at the mention of Huatiani. I can’t wait to see what happens when Centavo stops in uninvited.

“I apologize, this will require physical touch.” Centavo’s hand remains outstretched.

I breathe deeply and grasp it.

“Normally, I would suggest keeping your eyes closed. It makes the experience less disorienting.” Centavo wraps his arm around my waist. “But I suppose you wouldn’t listen.”

“You’re catching on.”

“Do try to remain silent.”

Before I can pop off another snide remark, the breath is sucked out of me. The sights and sounds of a sleeping New Teo hiccup. Dangling and nearly weightless, I feel only a slight tug at my waist. As I struggle to breathe, my surroundings blur together with darkness and the occasional flash of forest swimming in a green glow.

The rhythm feels like clipping across rough seas at unimaginable speeds. Suddenly, the bubble bursts. Dropping to the forest floor, I land on hands and knees. I try to stand, but the green-lit forrest canopy is spinning. Rolling onto my back, I focus on Centavo standing above me.

He kneels down and offers his hand. “Again, I would normally suggest one refrain from being offensive around Citlali. Seeing how the two of you have already met, and you’re still alive, she must like you. Perhaps it’s best to be yourself.”

On my feet, I brush away pine needles.

Centavo continues in a mumble, loud enough for me to get the hint. “God willing, no one will get hurt.”

As soon as the spinning stops, I recognize the cave entrance. It appears we’re alone. “What exactly is your relationship with the queen, with Citlali?”

“Complicated.” He points with his chin while dimming his green glow to a barely perceivable flicker.

I turn in time to see the queen emerge from the mouth of the cave. In the dark of night, her skin swims with green luminescence more visibly than during the day. But her shade of green is so dark it barely lights the ground in front of her.

She stops several meters away. “I was just about to leave for the evening’s hunt. I never expected such a prize right at my doorstep.” Centavo starts to speak, but the queen cuts him off. “Let me guess. Father Huehue found out about your little visit to our forest and wanted you to apologize.” She seems to be talking straight to Centavo even though addressing me. “Raise them up to follow the straight path. Such a dutiful daddy right from the start.”