Chapter 4 - And We're Off!

When I finally reached the bottom of the stairs, I stopped and looked around. It was fairly dark, so I couldn't see any sort of door. I remembered something my mother told me when I was younger and immediately closed my eyes.

If you ever find yourself needing to travel when it's dark, rely on any of your senses except for sight and don't panic.

I'd rarely ever listened to any of my mother's lessons, but this one I'd definitely heard. I started feeling around the walls until I felt something move when I pushed on it. I opened my eyes to see that part of the wall had moved and light filtered through the crack. I pushed the wall again and it opened, revealing the dazzling light of the hot savanna sun, which still seemed to be climbing up into the sky. I smiled at the thought of finally being free and took a step outside. The sand felt warm under my feet and the sky was bright blue and cloudy.

Suddenly, the silhouette of a full grown male snake-tailed lion covered the sun and dived towards me. I yelped in surprise and ran off, or at least tried to before my foot got caught on something and I tripped. The huge lion landed in front of me and nudged me to make sure I was still alive. I let out a groan as I felt the lion's huge paw touch me.

"You okay, kiddo?" the lion said in a familiar voice. "We can't have you dying already."

I looked up to see Thorn looming over me, his blue eyes flooded with concern.

"Thorn?" I struggled to my feet. "What are you doing out here?"

"Your mother told me everything," Thorn said. "I'm making sure you stay safe, even if it's the last thing I do. This war between the tribes has to stop, and if you really are one of the prophesied children, I will do anything to make sure you fulfill that prophecy and bring us much needed peace."

"Sounds great," I said. "How far are you willing to follow me?"

"Until I'm sure not even I'd be able to see you from my own den," Thorn replied.

"Got it," I began walking, but Thorn scooped me up with his paw and flung me on his back.

"Do you really expect me to let you walk so far?" he asked as I sat up on his back. "Hold on to my mane, or anything that will be strong enough to keep you on my back."

I did as he said and with that, Thorn streaked off in the direction of the slowly rising sun.

"So," I yelled over the wind blasting past my face. "How do you know my mom?"

"Surely you should know by now?" Thorn's tone was confused. "Very well, I suppose I must tell you myself. I am her mate and the father of your siblings."

My eyes widened when I heard what Thorn said. Well, now that I thought about it, him, Kenai and the other cubs shared some physical features, such as their light ginger fur, red manes; or in the cubs' cases, sort of a mane; and bright blue eyes. Of course, their eyes could just be a temporary thing since all cubs are born with blue eyes.

"Wait, if you're technically my dad, how come you never came to visit?" I asked.

"Well, we're prideless, and therefore we fend for ourselves," Thorn began. "But, that isn't the reason I never came to visit. I knew before Feather told me she was expecting cubs that Falcon was hunting me, and if she found out your mother and I had cubs together, I was afraid she'd hurt her and the cubs as well as me. I knew this wasn't your siblings' quarrel, so when Feather told me she was expecting, I told her I'd be making my own den nearby as to not hurt our cubs."

"Wow," I muttered. "Falcon really has it out for you, huh?"

"It's because she knows I'm against the war, and that I'm a protector of the children of the prophecy," Thorn growled. "She's one of the lions that think this war is just a game and wants to keep it going just for her own amusement, so she's killing anyone she's sure is harboring one of the children, whether they're a lion or not. That would include me and your mother."

"Well, I'm gonna make sure she doesn't get to you guys!"

"And how will you do that? You haven't the slightest idea of where to go yet."

"Oh, really? I would've never known!"

"I suppose you want me to tell you?"

"No, keep me in the dark!"

"Enough with the sarcasm! Unless you want to walk the rest of the way..."

"Fine, fine fine! Just tell me what I'm supposed to do already!"

"Well, first you must find the other child of the prophecy. You should find them in Starling tribe territory."

"How about stopping the war?"

"We haven't figured that part out yet."

"So, I'll have to figure that part out on my own... Also, 'we'?"

"Yes, there is a whole organization made up of many different creatures, from snake-tailed lions to humans, dedicated to making sure this prophecy is fulfilled, one way or another. In fact, we've made sure that there are replacements for you just in case you either die or go rouge before you get to fulfill the prophecy."

"Well, you won't need those replacements, because I promise I'll do whatever it takes to stop this war!"

"I hope so. I've really started to grow attached to you, so please refrain from dying."

"I can try."

Finally, Thorn skidded to a stop and let me get off his back.

"This is where I leave you," Thorn said. "Godspeed, young warrior, and safe travels."

"Thanks, Thorn," I said. "Or should I call you Dad?"

"Thorn is alright, thank you," Thorn chuckled as he turned away from me and began stretching his wings to fly back to his den.

"And, Evander," he said before he took off. "Remember everything Feather taught you, and that you should allow yourself to grow close to people. Don't be so distant all of the time. Form unbreakable bonds. That is how I met your mother, you know."

"I will," I called after him. "I promise!"

I waited until Thorn disappeared into the clouds before setting off towards where my mother told me Starling tribe was. Luckily, I came prepared and brought a map, some food and water, my hunting knife, and a few other essentials in a backpack I'd had since I was really young. Otherwise, I'd be dead before I even got out there.