Epilogue - Writing for Nostalgia

Evander sighed, wondering how he should end what he was writing. He drummed his fingers against the table, annoyed that he couldn't seem to think of something. Finally, he perked up as he got an idea and dipped the pen he held in ink.

I want to point out here that the story technically isn't over yet, since I'm clearly still alive, but I guess if there's one thing you can take from it, it's this:

"Evander, why are you taking so long?"

Evander stopped writing immediately and slammed his pen down on the table, pushing everything to the side. A fairly young-looking elf strode in, his long dark hair tied in a ponytail. His piercing blue eyes stared into Evander's soul as if searching for something important.

"Sorry, my love," Evander purred, smiling casually. "I was just... writing something down."

"You know you're a horrible liar," the elf laughed. "What are you hiding this time? Another pet?"

Evander turned and looked at the tank containing a scorpicat behind him and chuckled, slightly embarrassed.

"Harley isn't a pet, and no I haven't grabbed another," he said truthfully. "I'm not hiding anything, Scout."

"Oh?" Scout tipped his head to one side. "What's that then?"

He pointed at the paper Evander had pushed to the edge of the table, raising an eyebrow at Evander expectantly. Evander sighed, sliding the paper closer to himself.

"It's a documentation of our travels when we first met," he explained. "I thought I'd make it a surprise, but there's no hiding it now. I was going to see if I could get it published. That way, our story could be told properly, and no one will ever forget it."

"Oh, thank goodness," Scout sighed. "I thought you were writing to your father again!"

"And the problem with that is?" Evander asked.

"We've been over this," Scout replied. "You're lucky you even know where to send those letters. He clearly wants nothing to do with you, so just let it go."

"You know I can't do that," Evander sighed. "I have to keep trying, even if it kills me."

"Why's that?" Scout asked curiously.

"I need to ask him about my mother," Evander explained. "I'm sure he can tell me things Auryon hasn't."

"Auryon is her sister!" Scout rolled his eyes. "I don't think it's possible that he knows something she doesn't."

Evander sighed, then looked up at Scout. He was right. Evander had no clue why he was insisting on trying to get a response from his father.

"I suppose you might be right," he muttered. "I know enough anyway, but it doesn't feel that way. I guess I'm just... upset that I never got to know her, you know?"

"But you did," Scout smiled. "Maybe not personally, but through Auryon you know all there is to know about her. From what we've learned, she lives on in you."

Evander smiled back at Scout, a tear tracing down his cheek. Scout always knew how to get him all emotional. The elf grabbed Evander's face and turned it towards him, then kissed him on the cheek.

"Evander, stop living in the past," he said, beginning to recite a saying in Elvish. "All things must come to an end, whether good or bad, so make the most of now."