Chapter 23 - Caught

I knew it... I just knew something like this would happen...

I looked over to see two huge silhouettes of a lion and lioness flying towards us. The lion leapt behind us and the lioness in front of us, and they began circling around us, flashing their teeth and claws at us. Scout had Maxine and Roxie shelter in between him and I. Suddenly, the lion pounced and pinned Scout to the ground. Scout let out a cry of pain as he was slammed against the ground.

"You have until we loose our patience to explain exactly why you're here," the lion spat at me. "Or I kill the elf."

The lioness hissed in agreement, slashing her claws just inches away from my arm.

"We were just passing through," I explained. "We were actually in the process of leaving. I saw that we were on your territory and decided we should leave, then you guys showed up. So, how about you let my boyfriend go, and we leave peacefully?"

"What do you think, Torrent?" the lion asked. "Should we let them off our territory peacefully?"

The lioness unsheathed her claws and snarled. I guessed that was probably a "no".

"My sister thinks we should slap you guys around a bit to teach you a lesson, isn't that right, Torrent?" the lion purred.

The lioness nodded, a sneer on her face. Before either lion could do anything, a loud roar sounded and the lion was pushed off of Scout. Scout scrambled to his feet and immediately latched onto me, shaking uncontrollably. Roxie leapt in front of us protectively as if she could do something against the lions. I looked over at the thing that had saved Scout to see that it was another lion. This lion was much bigger and stronger than both the lion he'd attacked and the lioness that stood in shock in front of us, and his mane was golden-brown. He also looked awfully familiar...

"Would you two mind explaining why you're attacking innocent passersby instead of hunting for the kingdom?" the new lion hissed, his light brown fur spiking in anger.

"We saw trespassers, so we decided to put a pause on hunting to protect our territory," the other lion explained. "Right, Torrent?"

Torrent nodded, her gray-blue fur spiked in alarm. Does she even speak? The newcomer snarled and let the lion to his paws.

"Why didn't you think to bring them to Leading Pride instead of killing them on sight?" he growled. "Plus, they could've killed you! Look at that elf's markings, he can do wind magic!"

"I ain't scared of a little breeze..." the other lion muttered.

"What did you just say, Harpy?" the newcomer hissed, green eyes flashing.

Harpy hesitated, but then decided to stand firm in his words.

"I am not scared of a light breeze from a child, Commander Umbris." he hissed.

The newcomer looked at Scout, clearly prompting him to do something to show Harpy what a "light breeze" could do. Scout shrugged and, while still holding onto me, held his hand out and a blast of wind sent Harpy flying backwards. The newcomer laughed, and I just stared at him as I realized what Harpy had called him. Umbris was a name; his name. My baby brother was alive! I let out a cry of joy and ran over to Umbris, hugging his leg. Umbris ruffled my hair with his paw, smiling.

"I knew you'd recognize me," he said. Turning to Torrent, he added, "I'll take these guys back to the kingdom. You take your brother home and teach him some manners, alright?"

Torrent nodded and nudged her brother until he got up and the two lions flew away towards the kingdom; Roxie snarled at them as they left. I just looked at Umbris in a state of pure shock. Wasn't he supposed to be dead?

"I'm guessing Kenai told you what happened to me while you were gone," Umbris said.

I nodded, at a complete loss for words. Umbris just smiled patiently at me. This was the Umbris I remembered, not the fierce commander he'd just been earlier.

"So, who are your new friends?" Umbris prompted.

"Oh, right!" I looked over at Max and Scout. "The handsome elf over there is my boyfriend Scout, and the halfling next to him is Max. She acts like she doesn't like me, but I know she absolutely loves me, isn't that right, Max?"

"Shut it, ice cube boy," Max retorted.

"Yeah, okay fire-breath..." I muttered.

"Will you two stop that?" Scout hissed. "Evander, act your age, and Max, be nice!"

"But-" Max and I protested.

"No 'buts'!" Scout interrupted.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Umbris began. "But I have to take you to Leading Pride and somehow convince their leader that you guys aren't a threat. It's part of my duty as Commander."

I shrugged and Umbris crouched down so we could ride on his back. I hopped on first, then Scout got on behind me, and Max behind him. Umbris picked up Roxie by her scruff and then flew away towards the kingdom.