Chapter 29 - Time To End This

I looked from one side to another at the armies standing around me and my friends. Roxie seemed uncomfortable, shuffling her paws. Scout and Max stood on either side of me, ready to defend me if needed. I let out a sigh and opened my mouth to speak, but Ash beat me to it.

"Auryon, control this child," he hissed, glaring at me.

"You first," Auryon replied, staring curiously at Scout.

At the sight of Scout, Ash's eyes widened, and he got an angry look on his face.

"Scout, what are you doing here!?" Ash snarled. "And with a human? And what on earth is that... that thing there with you?"

"Well, that human can understand you," Scout hissed back. "and Max isn't a 'thing'!"

"Then what is she?" Ash asked, narrowing his eyes.

"That's not the point," I interrupted. "Everyone, put down your weapons! I have something I have to say."

"Who do you think you are, kid?" Auryon asked. "Go back to whatever village you're from and butt out."

Ash stared at me in shock; I guess he hadn't expected me to start speaking Elvish. I ignored him and looked over at Auryon.

"I'm not from any Kestrel Tribe villages," I said. "It's a long story, and it's not important. Just listen to me for, like, a minute."

Auryon tipped her to one side. She didn't seem angry, just confused. Ash stepped forward and readied his bow, aiming the arrow directly at me. Scout, Max, and Roxie tensed at this action, ready to defend me, but I raised my hand to tell them to stand down.

"It's fine, let him do it," I shrugged. "Watch what happens."

"Is that a threat, human?" Ash hissed.

He released the arrow and I deflected it with a piece of ice that melted almost instantly after the arrow fell to the ground in front of me. Ash's eyes widened and Auryon had an intense expression on her face, like they were trying to figure out how I'd done that.

"You listening now?" I smirked.

"Who even are you?" Auryon asked, smiling gently.

I didn't like how condescending she sounded, but I shrugged it off.

"I'm Evander, and these are my friends, Scout and Max, and my pet foxena, Roxie," I explained quickly.

"I prefer the term 'protector', thank you," Roxie snarled in Elvish, which surprised me, but I didn't have the energy to question it at the time.

"Alright then," I muttered. "She's my protector. Anyways, I know this might sound crazy, but we're the children in that prophecy about the war."

Auryon and Ash exchanged a glance , then started laughing hysterically. I wasn't too affected since I'd expected this, but Scout and Max looked greatly offended.

"What are you laughing at?" Max hissed.

"You? The children of the prophecy?" Ash howled. "That's rich! Scout doesn't even fight, that pacifist coward."

"But you're so scrawny!" Auryon added. "How could you stop a war? I mean, that elf has wind powers! What are you gonna do? Blow the war away?"

"And what does... oh, what did Scout call it... 'Max' do?" Ash asked.

"I'm not an 'it'!" Max objected.

"Now, hang on everyone," a voice said calmly. "Let's hear them out."