Chapter 20 - What's wrong?

I fluttered my eyes open as I began to regain consciousness, slightly disoriented. I was going to get up, but then I heard voices. It was Maxine and Scout having a conversation. I shut my eyes and listened to what they were saying.

"Hey, great job out there!" Scout said. "You're a pretty good fighter, and I'm sure that would be useful when we have to stop the war. After all, no one said we would be able to end this thing peacefully."

"Yeah, I guess..." Maxine muttered.

"Hey, is there something wrong?" Scout asked, sounding concerned.

Suddenly, Maxine just started crying, which kind of surprised me. From the way she presented herself, I didn't think she was one to just fall apart like that. I mean, I knew she had emotions, but I didn't think she'd just start crying in front of someone. Then again, she was younger than me, so she was bound to be more emotional than I'd expected.

"Woah, hey!" Scout exclaimed. "What happened?"

"I'm sorry," Maxine sniffed. "I don't want to hurt people, even though you say I might have to. I might be dangerous, but I'm not a cold-blooded killer. I'm not stoic like Evander or a natural fighter like you, so why the heck am I part of this dumb prophecy? I'm not even that important anyway..."

"Hey, don't talk like that," Scout said. "You're just as worthy of this prophecy as Evander and I. You were chosen for a reason, I'm sure of it."

"What if you're wrong, and you're just dragging me along on your dangerous journey for nothing?" Maxine asked.

"It won't come to that, Max. I promise."

Maxine sniffed, but she seemed to have calmed down at this point. Suddenly, she let out a long sigh and Scout made what sounded like a confused squeak.

"Is there something else?" Scout asked.

"Yeah, actually," Maxine admitted. "Do you wanna know why I really hate Evander?"

"Um, I guess?" Scout muttered, not sounding exactly sure.

"Back when I was with Mother, before you came and brought me along with you as one of the prophecy kids," Maxine began. "Mother would always tell stories about Evander like he was some sort of prodigy. I always knew he was her favorite child, but I didn't mind. I started to hate him when Mother allowed me and a few other children to go outside. She followed us as we played, but then a huge lion came by. He had a tawny colored pelt and his mane was black. He said he worked with a lion named Jackal and was asking about you. Mother tried to protect me, but before she could do anything, I... I killed the lion. I accidentally set fire to him and he burnt to a crisp right in front of all of us. I still remember his screams of agony as he died, even though I wish I didn't..."

Maxine paused for a long moment, probably trying to calm herself so she could finish what she was saying before she burst into tears again.

"After that day, everyone in the nest was afraid of me," Maxine continued. "Mother didn't really pay attention to me anymore, and I think she was scared of me, too. I could never play with any of the others anymore, except for this one little dodger pup who would follow me around all day, no matter what I did or said to her. I grew to hate Evander because I was jealous of how highly Mother spoke of him while she treated me like I wasn't even there. She only paid attention to me when you came along to get me out of there."

"But, you seemed so eager to return home when we found you," Scout muttered. "You even told your mom that you'd come back."

"I was really trying to reassure my dodger friend," Maxine sighed. "She was the only one who didn't treat me like crap when I lived with Mother."

There was a long silence between the two, then Scout cleared his throat.

"I better go check on Evander," he muttered awkwardly.

Scout walked over to me and gently shook me. He had no clue that I was awake. I acted as if I'd just woke up and forced a yawn.

"Hello, Scout," I muttered tiredly. "What happened?"

"I knocked you out back there, remember?" Scout tipped his head to one side.

"Oh, right," I said. "That's why everything hurts..."

I looked over at Maxine, and she just scoffed and looked away.

"I was hoping you'd stay like that for a bit longer," she muttered.

"No, you didn't," I teased. "You know you love me."

Maxine just stuck her tongue out at me. I copied her, and Scout hit me over the head.

"Ow, what gives!?" I yelped.

"Act your age, dummy!" Scout smirked.

I just rolled my eyes, but then Scout began kissing me all over my face and I squeaked in protest. I began giggling at this, but I couldn't help but feel bad for Maxine. I had no idea my- I mean our- mom could be so cruel. When we fulfilled the prophecy, I was gonna make sure Maxine- I mean Max- didn't go back home to that monster, and that she wouldn't ever be ignored like that again.