Chapter 24 - Instant Betrayal

Once we'd finally landed in the kingdom, Umbris walked us the rest of the way to Leading Pride's den. Apparently, it wasn't really a den. It was more like a castle that was carved out of a large stone. It looked kind of cool actually. The castle was a sort of reddish-brown color that shone faintly in the sunlight. As we made our way towards it, I heard whispers and caught other lions around us stealing glances at us. They've probably never had any other creatures pass through here. Or they know who we are...

"This place is amazing!" Scout exclaimed, snapping me out of my thoughts. "The architecture, the open space, just everything about seems man-made, but this was all created by lions! Am I getting all that right Umbris?"

"Yes, this entire kingdom was constructed by lions," Umbris replied. "Each pride has a unique den, but Leading Pride's den is our pride and joy!"

"I see what you did there," I chuckled. "You haven't changed."

"Well, that's not exactly true," Umbris muttered. "Though I may still be the jokester I was as a cub, I'm forced to be tough and thick-skinned around others. It lets the kingdom know that their commander knows what he's doing. I was appointed by Leading Pride at a young age, so others used to look down on me. They thought that I'd be too soft, but I showed them."

"Good on you," I smiled. "And you're happy here?"

"Of course I am!" Umbris said. "This is one of the biggest kingdoms in the world. Being accepted into Leading Pride is basically impossible around here, but I did the impossible as a cub!"

"Hey, do you know anything about the war?" Max asked suddenly.

"Um, yes," Umbris replied. "I heard word that Kestrel Tribe is planning an attack on Starling Tribe in two days. The attack will begin at dusk. It's the first rain of the season, and it's going to be a real thunderstorm, too."

"Wait, really?" Scout said. "If that's true, we could have a huge advantage! After this, we have to head straight for the border. That's obviously where the fight will happen. If we catch Kestrel Tribe in time, we can stop the war!"

Roxie barked excitedly as Umbris lead us into the castle. Inside we saw a huge throne, and on the throne was a familiar-looking, large maned-lioness, snoring lazily. Her dark ginger fur shone like fire due to the sunlight filtering through a skylight positioned above her throne, and her darker, juvenile-like mane looked well-groomed. She was curled up comfortably, clearly fast asleep.

"Queen Falcon?" Umbris called. "I have visitors here for you!"

The lioness' head shot up quickly and she looked down at Umbris, seemingly disoriented. She looked at each of us, quickly cleaned herself, and sat up as if she hadn't been sleeping earlier. I could swear I recognized her name, but brushed it off rather quickly. There's no way she's who I think she is, right...?

"Good afternoon, Commander," she said casually. "Who have you brought for me today? Prisoners?"

"Oh, they're not prisoners!" Umbris said quickly. "The human is my adoptive brother."

"So, he understands us?" Queen Falcon asked. "And what of the other three?"

"Oh, the elf boy is his partner, and the girl and the foxena are their friends," Umbris explained. "They're traveling together."

"Why have you brought them here?" Queen Falcon tipped her head to one side. "Are they important in some way?"

"Well, they're the prophecy children," Umbris said hesitantly. "I just thought that if we had them, then maybe we could control the prophecy..."

"Of course, you're a genius, Umbris!" Queen Falcon roared. "We must keep them then! Get them a room here or something, they will be treated as guests so long as they are of use."

"Wait, with all due respect, your highness," I cut in. "We can't stay. Umbris has told us of a planned fight between the tribes, and this could be our chance to stop the war. It was nice meeting you, but we best be on our way if we want to make it in time to prevent anymore bloodshed."

"Excuse me?" Queen Falcon snarled. "Are you denying my generous hospitality?"

"I'm sorry, but this can't be ignored," I said, giving a polite bow.

Falcon and Umbris exchanged a look, then the queen looked over at us. Roxie shifted her paws anxiously; she clearly sensed something was wrong, and my feeling that I knew this lioness only grew stronger. Then, I finally realized who she was: she'd tried to kill me once! But, by then it was far too late to leave before she tried to finish the job.

"Get them," Queen Falcon demanded calmly. "They are not to leave this castle alive."

Umbris whipped his head around towards us and roared. At his call, many other lions crept out of the shadows, hissing and snarling. I looked at Umbris in pure shock, feeling betrayed. I was just about ready to kill someone again as the guard of pride lions crept closer and closer to us...