Chapter 15

Logan added another egg to the pancake mixture, stirred it, then poured more buttermilk into the bowl. The microwave pinged and he tipped the melted butter into the batter.

He found a bag of fresh blueberries sitting in the fridge, so he took those across to the griddle and started cooking breakfast.

Tess flew into the kitchen just as he slid the first pancakes into the warmer tray.

"You're cooking?" Her mouth dropped open as he closed the oven door.

"I might have made pancakes once or twice since you showed me." He'd made them more than once or twice. Pancakes had become his specialty. When Dylan started calling in for breakfast, Logan had experimented with different additions to the recipe. Some worked, some didn't. But Dylan and Logan weren't fussy. They'd eat everything then wash them down with thick black coffee.

"You could have kept your PJs on." Logan didn't miss the blush that streaked along Tess' face. She'd looked so cute in her cotton pajamas that he'd regretted having to tell her the time.

"I'd better start baking." Tess walked across to the pantry and pulled out containers of sugar and flour. "Thanks for waking me up."

He turned back to the stove and smiled. "If you hadn't answered your phone I was going to break in."

Tess opened the refrigerator and took out the butter. "I'm a deep sleeper." She quickly mixed some flour, sugar, and baking powder together. "I didn't think you'd go for a run this morning."

Logan sprinkled some blueberries on the next batch of pancakes. "I woke up early. Did you enjoy yourself last night?"

Tess grinned. "I had a great time. Dylan seemed to enjoy himself."

"I've never seen him smile so much." Logan figured it must have been part of his new dating strategy. He flipped the pancakes and took two plates out of the pantry. "Do you realize how much Connie and Dave appreciated your surprise?"

"It wasn't a big deal. They hadn't planned anything after the wedding, so I thought we could have dinner together. Can you open the oven door?"

He opened the door and moved out of her way.

Tess slid a baking sheet of cheesy pinwheels into the oven and walked across the room. "I'll make the mini fruit tarts now. Did Annie say what time she'd be here?"

"She should be here soon."

Opening the refrigerator, she looked along the shelves. She moved a few things around, then started pulling food out and leaving it on the counter. "I know it's in here. Annie bought yogurt yesterday."

Logan slid two pancakes onto a plate and tapped Tess on the shoulder. "You haven't had breakfast. It's time to stop."

Tess smiled. She was standing so close that he could smell the peppermint tang of her toothpaste. "I've got too much baking to do."

He reached for her hand and pulled her across to one of the kitchen stools. "You'll get more done on a full stomach. Sit."

Tess looked at the pancakes in his hand, then up into his eyes. "They are mighty fine pancakes."

"The best in Montana." He could have drowned in Tess' blue eyes. He hadn't stood this close to her since Molly had taken their photos in her apartment. And he still remembered the taste and feel of her when he'd kissed her in front of his sister. His heart rate had spun out of control then, and it was doing the same thing now.

Tess' eyes drifted to his mouth and he moved closer. He imagined her body pressed against his, the way his mouth would slip along her skin as they slowly devoured each other.